Dream a little Dream(46)

Today marks a year since Walker had left. It felt like a decade since I last saw his face. The last couple of months dragged on. I couldn't watch as Monroe continued to drink himself to a stupor. 

Each time was the last time. He promised that he would stop, that he didn't want to hurt Kendall. It's like he has been blind to the looks of sadness that the love of his life has been shooting him. 

Kendall always talked of having a family. That he didn't want his children to have the same upbringing as he did. I couldn't stand there and allow them to ruin what they have. So, I told Kendall about the nights where I had to help Monroe into bed, or rub his back as he vomited into the toilet. 

At first Kendall didn't believe me, he said that he was just going through a hard time. Seeing as his guilt was eating away at him. I told him to watch closely. How he always has a headache in the morning, and how he has been having late nights in his office. It took him a few days until he realized that his boyfriend was becoming an alcoholic. 

I decided that I shouldn't be there while they fight through this rough patch. I had started to look for a job, and eventually I found a great job at the cafe located beside the university. 

Kendall helped me apply back in March, he has always had my back. I thank him for that everyday. I could tell that he doesn't want me to move out, he wants me close. He is like the brother I always wished for, and I think he views me in the same way. 

I wish that Walker could see how much I have grown. Right now, I'm moving away from who has become my family. 

"Are you sure about this Quincy?" Kendall asks. Leaning against the door frame. I sigh, nodding my head. 

"I need to do this. It's just like how you moved here." I tell him. 

"You can always come back here if things don't turn out like you had imagined." Kendall said. I look down at the photo album I held in my hand. My mother loved scrap booking, it was most likely the only motherly thing she ever did. I took them when I left, so I could have some memories of my old life. 

"I know, I really do appreciate what you have done for me. Truly. I just think that it is time for me to grow up, and stop crying over spilled milk. when Walker comes back, if he comes back, I want to show him that I am no longer the boy that he first met." I explain to him. He walks further in the room, taking down a photo of us that I had hanging on the wall. 

"We made so much memories these past few months. You are like a brother to me, and now with everything with Monroe... I'm going to miss having somebody there for me. You know?" He sighs. Placing the frame in the box nearest to him. 

"I will still be there for you, I'm just moving around the block. You are welcome to visit anytime, and I know that I will have many sleep overs at your place..." I leave off. Not wanting to say once Monroe sobers up.

"Q, I have no idea what I'm doing. Nobody in my family has battled substance abuse, and sure we learn about it in school. I just don't know how to handle...this." He whispers. His eyes filling up with tears. 

"There are groups that you guys could go to, and maybe you could convince Monroe to go to therapy." I tell him.

"Yeah, he's not going to go for that." He chuckles, obviously finding the subject comical. 

"Well, you guys love each other. I know that you will be able to get through this. Maybe then you can finally move out of this apartment. " I say to him. He had often ranted to me about the layout of this apartment, and how it is too sleek for his liking. 

"Yeah, maybe"