Rebel (2)

Walker

"Are you sure you want to do this?" My best friend Holden asks. His mouth pulled down in a concerned frown.
"Of course I am. You know that I've wanted to do this for a year now. I've thought it through." I tell him. Trying to soothe his worries. He pushes his hand through his unruly curls. Nodding at me slightly. Even though worry and anxiety fills his eyes.
He's always been my protector, since day one. Stopping anybody who even thought of picking on me. I couldn't have a better friend. The guilt that comes with that weighs on my shoulders every day.
I should tell him everything. Yet for years I've been lying to him. Not telling him of my biggest tormentor.
"The military isn't something to joke about." He tells me. I look at him with a raised eyebrow.
"I know that Holden." I sigh.
"I'm just worried. I'm not going to be there to protect you." He admits. He's never had a problem with being targeted. He's not the biggest person, but he's bigger then me, that's for sure. He's nearly five seven, and has a good amount of muscle on him. Me on the other hand, I'm barely five five, and have little to none muscle mass. I'm an easy target, and everybody knows that.
This will change.
"I don't need to be protected." I grumble. Glaring at him lightly. His face softens, and he opens his mouth to apologize but I cut him off. "I'm going to do this Holden. This is my future. This is going to be my saving grace. I could just tell." I whisper. Looking at the application in front of me. It's already filled out, and has been for weeks. I'm just building up the courage to send it out. I'm afraid of the rejecting me. This is the only shot of me getting out of here.
I know that I'm agile, and with effort, I will become stronger. I just need to train.
"I'm behind you, in whatever you do." He says with a sigh.
"Thank you." I say. He nods at me.
"You have to send that out eventually." He tells me.
"I know. I'm going to on the way to school tomorrow." I say, not telling him that that will be the only chance I'll have for the rest of the week. The deadline is in two weeks, and I don't want to put it off too much and then not get in.
"I could pick you up early?" He asks. Since he usually picks me up everyday.
"Um, okay." I whisper. He smiles at me.
"Let's go out. Janice is coming home soon, and she's been in a bad mood." He tells me. Standing up from the table. He's referring to his foster mom. Who's taken him in for the last year. The longest in awhile. We've both came to the verdict of it being because of the monthly pay check. She barely recognizes Holden, and when she does it's only to lecture him. He still hasn't told her that he's gay, not wanting to be kicked out.
"Where do you want to go?" I ask. Walking behind him as we exit the small house.
"There's a club that I've wanted to go to." He tells me vaguely. I look at him oddly.
"Club?" I ask. Not liking the sound of this.
"It just opened a city over. It's gotten good reviews." He explains. Unlocking his car and getting in. I look down at my clothes with a frown. I don't think a band shirt and skinny jeans are fitting for a club.
I shrug and get I'm after him.
"What kind of club is this?" I ask. Holden is the rebel of the group. He's always pushing boundaries. Yet, he's never gotten into trouble, so that's good.
"Well, the lower half is a regular club. It's what's on the second floor that interests me." He says with a smirk.
"Oh god. Not again." I groan. Every month he drags me to different places. He likes gaining knowledge of everything. It must be the artist in him. I look over and glare at him.
"Hey, this is fine. I understand that the shop that we went to was a bit much. This is the lifestyle part of it. Come on dude." He pleads with me.
"Fine. If I want To go home though, you can't complain." I say to him. He nods.
"Yes!" He shouts. Pulling out of the parking lot.