Goodbye? (6)

"Are you sure you have everything?" My mother asks. Her eyes red from crying. She has been a mess since last week. Saying how her baby has grown up.
"Yes mama. I have everything. Don't worry." I reassure her. Pulling her into my arms. Her body sags against mine as she sobs once again.
"I'm going to miss you." She sniffles.
"Me too ma. I'm going to write, and call whenever I can." I whisper back. Pecking her forehead. She pulse away and smiles sadly at me.
"Are you sure you don't want me to drive you to the airport?" She asks. Her lips pulling down in a frown.
"Holden wanted to drive me ma." I tell her once again. She has been against not driving me since I told her.
"Well okay. I love you." She says. Kissing me on the cheek.
"I love you more." I say. Feeling the nerves start to bundle up inside me. Along with excitement. I'm finally leaving home. I'm finally getting away from that monster.
A car horn sounds from outside and I pull my mom into a hug one last time. Letting go after a few moments I wave and step outside of the place I've considered hell for most of my teen hood.
I drop my heavy bag into Holden's car trunk and hop into his car.
"I still can't believe that you are going through with this." He sighs. His eyes saddened.
"Well, there wasn't any other option." I tell him. Patting him on the knee as he pulls out of the drive way. Heading off in the direction of the airport.
"We could have went off for college together." He suggests. Looking over at me briefly.
"That's not my dream." I sigh. Wishing that he would understand why I'm getting away.
"I guess. I'm holding you to your promise of writing me every week." He says. Glaring at me playfully.
I laugh and nod. Leaning back in my seat knowing that the drive to the airport is at least an hour long.
"What if..." Judging by the tone of his voice I know what he's going to say so I cut him off.
"It won't happen. I won't let that happen." I tell him. My voice tight with promise. His mouth is in a straight line. He's afraid, and I can tell.
He's told me about his fear of losing me. His one... Person. He won't lose me. He'll discover the real me.
"Don't promise something you can't keep." He whispers. I look over at him.
"Holden. I will come home." I say once again. He nods and remains silent for the rest of the drive. We arrive at the airport a while later and he helps me grab his bags. A frown still on his face. I sling an arm around his shoulders. Which drop at the contact.
"I don't want you to leave." He admits softly. Looking up at me with sad eyes,
"I know. It will all make sense soon." I tell him. Looking into his eyes seriously. His eyes flash with understanding as he nods along.
"Come on, my flight is going to take off soon." I tell him. Smiling at him. He just sighs and walks alongside me. The tension in the air almost suffocating. Once we reach the point where he can't pass we stop. He drops the bags and launches himself into my arms. Hiding his face in the nook of my neck.
"I love you." He cries. Tears falling onto my shirt. I blink away my own tears. Wanting to appear tougher than I really am.
"I know. I love you more than anything Holden. You are my best friend and I wouldn't be here without you." I whisper. His crying intensifies.
"I don't know what I'm going to do without you." He mumbles. I rub his back soothingly.
"You will go to school. Get good marks. Get away from here." I tell him. Pulling him back so he can see how serious I am. "Don't go to that dark place again."
His eyes drop and he nods. I bump my forehead with his. Smiling at him softly. He returns it even though it doesn't reach his eyes. I pull away and pick up my bags.
"I'll see you soon." I say. Not wanting to say goodbye.
"Write me." He calls after me. I nod, and wave to him. When I turn the corner I allow the tears to fall.