Exiled (43)

Quincy's P.O.V

Walking into the kitchen the next day was hard. I didn't know what to expect. Monroe didn't leave the room at all yesterday. I admit that I attempted to listen in on them, but all I could hear was murmurs. I felt left out, again. 

When I walked into the room Kendall's kind face lit up. "How are you today? I heard you on the phone, so I decided not to check up on you." He tells me. I took a seat at the bar stool next to him. 

"I'm good, very tired. Didn't sleep very well again. I might have to go to the free clinic. Oh yeah, I was on the phone with Avery." His eyebrows raise with surprise. 

"Wow. How is he?" He asks me. Angling his body towards me. 

"He's good. He met a guy, he's happy now. We are on the mends I guess. Well, I hope so." I say. 

"He deserves it. Monroe saw him as a brother for years, it's sad that he burned that bridge. It could be repaired." Kendall says. I appreciate him, he really has been like a brother to me. Of course, I know that we aren't related. Neither him nor I have any siblings. 

"You deserve it too Kendall." I whisper. He looks away at me with a nod. 

'I know. Monroe makes me happy... when he is here anyways. Yesterday I tried, but he wouldn't even sleep. I feel selfish..." He tells me, his hands tapping on the counter top. 

"You aren't Kendall. He loves you, he's just lost." I tell him. He nods. 

"Sometimes it doesn't feel enough. My life is going to work and coming back here and watching tv. I could do that on my own..." His sadness seeps out of him in waves. Making me move closer to him. 

"I'm sorry that you're feeling this way." I tell him, placing my arm around his frail shoulders. 

"It's okay, every couple goes through their hard days. Mines just lasting a few weeks."

--------------

Kendall leaves for work a couple minutes later, placing a brotherly kiss on the top of my head.I'm then left alone with Monroe. Who is still in his office. 

He doesn't usually leave that room if he is here. Maybe he can't stand the thought of the life he is living right now, While Walker and Kendall are both unhappy with their lives. The two men he loves the most. 

I walk to the living room, deciding to watch tv. There's nothing else to do right now. I have to wait until Monroe is out of his office so I could print off some resumes to send into the local shops set up around the city. 

It must have been at least been an hour until I heard any semblance of movement from the next room. It shocks me to see Monroe stumble out of the room. It was only nine o'clock and the man was blitzed. The smell of booze seeps off of him, causing my nose to wrinkle in disgust. I have never been fond of the smell of booze. It makes my stomach turn. 

"Oh, you're here." He mumbles before wobbling to the kitchen. Retrieving a glass from the cupboard, and filling it with tap water. I couldn't look away from Monroe. His usual neat hair is sticking up in every direction. 

"Um, yeah I am." I say to him, doubting that he had heard me. He walks back to the couch. Plopping down beside me. I look at him closer. The bags under his eyes are as dark as ever, and his dark eyes are unfocused. He's a mess. 

"Why are you looking at me like that. I don't need pity." He mumbles. I sigh and look away. Of course the first time that we actually sit down together and have a conversation it has to be when he is drunk. 

"I don't pity you, don't worry about that." I tell him under my breath. 

"You're just like him." He says to me, causing me to look at him oddly. 

"Like who Monroe?" I ask him, waiting as he looks over at me. The stench of beer coming off of him. His clothing is from last night, it's wrinkled and in the need of a good wash. Along with the person wearing it. 

"Kendall. You appear to be timid, but you aren't" He whispers. Looking down at his hands.

Was Kendall the driving reason as to why Monroe was currently wasted beyond belief? What would he do if he knew of the condition that his loved one is currently in? 

Why is Monroe breaking Kendall's heart like this?