70: Talk About A Bunny

Start from the beginning

"I won't be the one to do it." And to her words, Izaya could only gasp in realization. "Do you plan on making me your errand boy too?" His eyes blinked in amusement.

"Why not. I brought you here to keep you safe. Pay your rent."

Her humor left Seth chuckling in the corner.

"I'd be glad to." Izaya replied genuinely. "I can't wait to meet them once again."

"Neither do I."

Seth and Liam had an idea of who they were referring to, so they let them reminisced at the memories. Then food disrupted their idle thoughts, and they forgot about everything else. One would think the lone female in the group would show grace, but much like the rest of her companions, she didn't hold back at stuffing her mouth with whatever her eyes fancied.

When it came down to it, she would eat everything if there was no negative consequences to her and to her surroundings. It was great she was finally able to happily gobble up delicacies after so long. She has traveled from one end of the continent to another. Many would have never lasted such a journey without proper preparations.

  ----------♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 

One they were full, it was time for their side job: eavesdropping.

"Hey, did you see that very cute bunny last night?"

"Who never did??"

"Hahaha. I know right. I can't believe she was being chased after the Dorm Lady from that mysterious apartment...."

"I heard there was another explosion..."

"I betcha it was one of her tenants. She should seriously just kick them all out!"

"If she did, where would be the fun of that?"

"She is really amazing though."

"Can't deny that. If it was not for her famous demonic broom, I would have rented a place there too."

"Oh come on. You've gotta be kidding."

"No I am not."

"Yes, you are."

"I have already tried."

"Then what happened?"

"I saw heaven briefly...."

"Holy Jebus. I am so proud of you, man."

"I know. I am proud of myself too."

Ignoring the laughing dorks in a corner, Lea and co. decided to shift their attention to another conversation.

"So King Alfonso's finally showin' his chest eh..."

"Stop talkin' weird! He just bein' an idiot is all. Not news."

"I ain't no talkin' fool 'ere. This is serious, mate. We ain't gettin' out of this hell 'ole alive fer sure. 'verywhere ye go, people be threatenin' you with guns. My lassies scared to go outta' house now."

"Sorry, mate. Can't say I blame you lassies. When guys be chasin' after their skirts 'ere and there. Why not grab yer own gun and shoot 'em boys. Oughta' scare 'em away."

"Ye know de rules, mate. Can't. Can't afford'ta send me self to prison. I got me little lassies to earn a livin' for."

"That's what ye get for havin' too many with yer wife."

"You know I can't help it, mate."

"Can't say I do, mate."

Hearing quite enough of the duo's conversation, Lea and co. shifted their attention to another group once more, making it their last.

"Mom, I want a new slave...."

"What happened to the last one we just bought for you?"

"She broke... I tried to see how bones break by falling from our fourth floor..."

"Oh darling. You shouldn't be wasting too many of the slaves we send you. You know how hard it is to find a good slave nowadays. The King is buying them left and right."

"I don't know, Mom. Just buy me a new one, okay?"

"Ha... What do you think, Dear?"

"We don't have to deny what he wants. I'm sure he'll get bored of his experiments soon."

"Ha... Fine. Me and your Daddy will come by the Slave Market this week. So be a good boy until then, okay?"

"Yes, Mom. Thanks, Dad."

"Haha. You need to grow up strong to take my work out of my hands some day. Anything for you, boy."

At the table where Lea and her companions sat, a shroud of darkness loomed overhead. "Lea, calm down." Seth warned softly into her ears. 

Glancing around her, her ruby eyes witnessed Izaya's pale complexion, while Liam sat rigid on his seat. "Sorry."

Hearing her voice, Izaya smiled amiably. "What happened there?"

"I don't know." Her voice once again steady, she replied with uncertainty. But Victor beside her observed her reactions carefully, his thoughts unfathomable. He leaned closer to Lea, and offered his tail to comfort her discomfort. "Lea, smile."

Her face expressionless, a small smile slowly crept on her lips, completely eradicating the mist of shadow shrouding their corner.