41. Failure

Hiccup's POV

We slowed down, I checked my equipment, my cloak, my helmet, my armor, my hidden knives, Inferno, I put on my claw on my right hand, aaand I think I'm done. 

As soon as the first villagers spotted us, everyone came to the cliff to watch us coming.

I sighed.

Maybe it's not such a great idea.

*Heather* - I see no weapons. I suppose it's a good sign.

- So they try to stab us on back.

*Eret* - Sarcasm. That's a good sign!

We flew above the houses, we checked for any suspicious sign, but nothing. We took an elegant Toothless styled turn, and landed in the middle, where the crowd gave place.

Toothless kept his head high, proudly, though he has no idea what we are about to do besides making the island less threatening, he knows that it's important. I took off my helmet, I shook my hair out of my face and I placed my helmet under my elbow and I looked around. Everyone stared at us with awe and hatred. Great.

Astrid was on my left side with the triple strike closely behind them, and Heather on my other side... the rest of the group tried to stay close to me as well, few of them didn't even landed.

- Greetings. Can I see the chief?

The crowd opened again, and created a path for us, straight to the Great Hall, and the only one who didn't stepped away was my father.

He just stood there.

The deadly silence screamed in the air, everyone was waiting to our rections.

I stepped forward, and bowed a bit like we usually do to give respect but I never lost eye contact.

*dad* - So you did come here.

- Great chief, thank you for letting us to come here. I grant you, you won't be disappointed.

*dad* - We will see Conqeror.

- Please refer to me as Nightrider or Night. That's my common name. Or Whisperer if you wish.

*dad* - Okay, Night.

- Shall we start the meeting now? - He nodded. - Well than. Heather, Astrid, Fishleg! I'd like to see you on my side. Everyone else shall follow the tribe's wish, remember, we are guests here, be nice!

They all nodded. They already knew I'll say that, but we have to play it well if we want to earn their trust.

My father gestured towards the Main Hall and we followed him. The riders didn't dare to dismount I could see their doubt... and I'm not the one to judge them.

They followed us to the huge doors, where they walked to the lawn and lay down. I nodded to sign them it's okay if they stay there.

We walked in, closly followed by many Berkians. I suppose many people interested, it's not an everyday thing... wait.

- GEM! What the heck are you doing here?!

*Gem* - Just hanging around with my buddies.

- Let me guess. You were annoying the inhabitants.

He licked his eyeball.

*Gem* - Me? Neveeeer... okay... I have five nightmare amd a bunch of other followers.

- I don't want to know what you've done to make them accept you as their leader. I knew you would be fine, but I asked you to stay low. Than what the hell are you doing IN the Main Hall?! And why did you get dragons to follow you???