36: Scent of Death | 1 |

Start from the beginning

"Memorized everything already..?" He softly asked, knowing how Lea functioned in concern with important facts and documents. His admiration and curiosity remained to be sparked by Lea every so often that he couldn't simply leave her alone for even a day.

To his question, Lea nodded in assent while handing the documents to him. "It will not create immediate backlash, but it can cause a ripple."

"And a ripple in a nation's state of disarray is equal to adding oil to the fire."

"Indeed. Your wits remain to be awed, Little Seth."

"I'm not 'little'. Need I remind you?" Seemingly displeased, Seth turned his back on Lea only to reveal a boyish smile.

"Understood, Little Seth."

"...Your humor is unpredictable, but I like it." He said matter-of-factly to which Lea simply shrugged.

"The meeting will be in the evening tonight. Same place, same time?"

"Correct." Clarified Seth, hiding away the Accounting Records.

"Going to sleep with me tonight?"

"We never do." And he knew, Lea never will.

At Seth's straight faced answer, Lea escaped a soft chuckle and tucked herself in the bed. While Seth left her room to retire for the night on the rooftop of their Inn.

★ ★★

The secret meeting went well and they both received a new task. Their new job involved killing 3 high ranking officers who have found excellent backing from an unknown source. The Shadows Organization speculated the three high officials could likely turn out to be strong opponents against their long-term goal.

"Quite a dangerous job for a pair of youths like us." Seth muttered under his breath as he read through the background information of the three officials.

"We will be killing more than 10 experienced people soon. This might be the last we will see each other."

"You've got such a dry humor, Lea. I sometimes want to believe your jokes."

"........" Her speculations could turn about right, but she knew better when Seth felt the same.

They were both nervous about the task at hand. Three high ranking officials all at the same time meant a huge tide for either groups involved. In addition to that, each high ranking official had found an excellent source for gathering allies that could fight them on equal footing or more.

"It's been fun, Little Seth."

"Oh come on. I can't imagine you dying in anyone's hands, honestly."

"......Well, this time, someone might." Her voice was more serious now, and Seth considered her words deeply.

"I won't let anyone succeed." He pledged.

"When things get dangerous, you escape alone. And inform Oliver of what has been going on so he can prepare himself for the worse."

"I refuse. You do it yourself. And you will live."

Lea shrugged. "Just in case, so remember what I just told you."

"Sorry, I forgot already." With an impish smile, Seth shrugged his shoulders.

".........." Lea remained her gaze on him. "Just try to remember." She finally said.

He shook his head in response and sat beside her on the bed.

Silence visited the room, and leaving right afterwards.