Chapter 37 - Reminder

Evangelina

I giggled while dug in my bag for a particular phone as I answered, "City morgue you kill em we chill em!"

"Eva," Mario complained, trying to snatch the phone off me as I darted out of his reach. My eyes narrowed at him as he huffed.

"Ma'am, are you ok?"

"I'm fantastic, just having fun. What do you need?"

"The go-ahead ma'am the targets are insights."

"How many?"

"Two ma'am," his voice eager to please. Or was it he enjoyed it? I didn't care at this point.

They'd messed with my business and gone after, the boys I'd hunt down every last one of them. Being in the states gave me the alibi I needed. I couldn't be more thankful for being in a public place. Lowering my voice to a whisper, I continued to move away from Mario and Sal. "You know what to do then."

I ended the call.

"Who was that Eva?"Mario watched me cautiously as I went to my bag, placing the phone inside.

"My lover if you must know."

Sal started laughing as Mario's face froze while I smiled at him. Pouring another drink and throwing it back. "Oh god, his face is a classic and look, he's fucking speechless."

Laughter bubbled up once again while Mario started to talk, "You have a lover, but I thought..."

"No, and don't say what your thinking I don't need reminding my life fucking sucks!"

"Then let him in, Eva, we talked about this many times," Paul said, giving me a stern look. I knew he was right, but I was scared and couldn't make the first move.

"Yep, you mess up his head real good Eva! In some twisted sense, we all saw last night you two may work out," Sal said.

Mario snapped, "Shut it, Sal!"

I could feel my face heating Emilio wasn't interested in me. I don't think he was involved in anyone that way except maybe Amelia. And that twisted my mind because he seemed not the type of person to settle down. In a, I have a wife way. "Oh damn, he kissed you before didn't he?"

Paul added, "A hundred bucks says he has and that's why they played ring around the rosy with the table last night. Dad filled me in, Eva. it's fucking monumental."

"Will you shut it can't you see you're making her uncomfortable," Fredrick glanced at me quickly with a small smile. I was glad he wasn't upset about today. "So Eva you gonna rack up again or darts?"

"Yes, darts!"

They all looked at me like I was crazy in choosing a game of darts. But, it put a little distance between Mario and me. It was as simple as that for Fredrick to change the subject and move on with his taunts. "You're going down, little girl."

"Old man watch your mouth!"
We walked over to the dartboard.

"Eva, I would have backed you up today, why'd you do it."