3: Duped

Emilio: Chicago

The phone rang again. Tamara's hand stretched out and caught mine as I shrugged it off. However, her glare narrowed while teeth grazed against my chest. After I answered, that rubbed me the wrong way.

Emilio: "Enzo?"

Enzo: "Where are you?"

Emilio: "Venus, why?"

Enzo: "Tito called. It's time to get acquainted with the Wifey!"

The laughter in Enzo's voice was annoying while I sat. I tucked the phone between my ear and shoulder, pulling my trousers on.

Emilio: "I can drive myself."

Enzo: "Na, your Dad suggested that you don't go alone."

Emilio: "Don't you mean ordered?"

With the small vile in hand, Tamara uncapped it and snorted the beige power. I watched her pupils become the size of pin picks, and as the buzz heightened, Tamara's face began to droop.

Enzo: "Yeah, I'll be there in ten?"

The call ended while I moved around the room as Tamara pouts from the bed. Before climbing off and slinking towards the door.

"Tamara lay off the gear. It ruins your value."

"Anything else, Sir?"

"No." Not impressed at all because it never took long for the girls to start mainlining once they got hooked. That was when they were of no use. It took years, but I had built Venus into a high-end establishment. Junkies had no place here.

When we pulled up at the front gates of the Bettini compound, Enzo whistled while he nodded across the road. The gate slid open as we drove in and parked. "The Feds are on our tail again. Do you want me to send them a coffee?"

"Nope, does this place remind you of a prison?"

"It's a fortress. Your dad should do this to both of his houses."

"We don't need this kind of security."

"Ya, do if you want to live!"

Enzo had a point; I had to marry a Bettini. Anything's possible. As we both chuckled, Pauli turned to eyeball us both while we rode to the house in the buggy. I counted ten men strategically positioned in the front of the grounds. Why would Tito need such a show of strength? Did our threat of war warrant this type of response? Christ, I hoped not as I took note of the automatic weapons.

"After she pops out a few babies, you might reconsider."

Kids? That was the last thing on my mind, least of all a wife. I was here for a different reason. I wanted the businesses that come from marrying Francesca, and we weren't willing to be put off any longer. It would solidify our position in the underworld as number one. But my Father believed I would gain access to the fabled consortium; I think he finally lost his marbles.

After we entered the front door, I saw Francesca at the top of the stairs. The rumours were spot on; she was a rare gem to behold. My eyes roamed the curvy lines of her body. Perhaps, it wouldn't be such a chore to marry her?

"Hello, Emilio."

Call me shallow, but I wanted to high-tail it with the high-pitch excitement that laced Francisca's voice. It made me shudder while stepping closer. I gazed up at her and lay on the charm. "Well, aren't you a vision, Francisca?"

As a large object crashed to the floor and we all leapt back as several voices chorused. "Eva!"

I was surprised as I looked up to find a beautiful teenager who would become stunning when she grew up. Cold, sharp eyes that bored down, brimming with hatred.