7: Dumb Luck

Evangelina: Massachusetts

So here I sat inside Mickey D's in Belmont, waiting after several calls to Jack, my package was on its way. David was scrambling to get out unscathed just as I was. The sole difference was he might die for assisting me in obtaining new identification. I picked my tray up, dumped it in the bin and went back to the clunker car I picked up at Radcliffe. Startled awake from a hard rap on the window, I cracked it open groggy from the nap.

"Eva?"

With a nod, I unlocked my passenger door, and David climbed in nervously and handed over a bag. "I've had to dump my whole operation if Jack hadn't forewarned me about who you are, well, you'd have nothing right now."

"Sorry, there's an extra ten G's for your trouble."

"If you are ever in need like this again, find someone else. I like breathing." Scared shitless, I didn't blame him one-bit Bruno, and his friends were fucking psychos.

The small backpack contained a Glock, three ammo boxes as I held the piece, testing the weight. "It's clean, right?"

"Clean as a whistle." Had he forgotten who I am? No black-market gun was completely clean. I snorted and took out the ziplock bag: passports driving licenses, birth certificates and social security cards.

"This is good work. David, now get out and forget you ever met me."

"Good luck! You're going to need it, doll."

Luck wasn't what I needed; it was a fucking miracle. Even if I was extra vigilant with Papa's men as well as Elmo's on the lookout for me. Shit just got too bloody real as I pulled out the Id slid it into my wallet. Once the bag was under the front passenger seat, I fired up the car and drove away.

I stopped at the first gas station and bought several maps. I had to avoid Illinois at all costs. However, I had always wanted to go to New York but was it worth the risk? Would Mario remember the got to go to board that we built together? He probably would Mario possessed a memory of an elephant, so a side trip of sightseeing was out of the question.

Closed eyes, I twirled my finger over the map, then opening my eyes, I'd landed on the top part of Texas, so the south it was. Next, I picked the quickest route to DC. I prayed that I made it that far because I had dallied time away waiting on David today.

Suppose I got out of the state before I conked out from exhaustion because a shower and hotel bed called my name. However, I forced myself not to curl up and sleep as I needed distance between us. David was the wild card, hopefully offering that extra money would possibly earn his silence. Nevertheless, when they caught up and they would, I hoped it was Uncle Don or Nick. Because it was inevitable, and if it were any of the Mancini crew, David would be singing any song they wanted to hear.

The car had to go as soon I arrived in DC while I considered David once again it would've been easier if I'd disposed of him. The thought I wavered on and whether he would be trouble for me. I just hoped I was far away when they caught up with him. Careful, I kept the car under the speed limit, reading each exit sign I passed while humming to the music as a call came through the Bluetooth earpiece.

"Hey, Franny." She was the only one with my number as I hadn't contacted Mario yet.

Wearily her voice came over the line. She sounded close to tears. "Eva, Where are you and what's going on?"

Francesca: "Impromptu road trip; you know how I love spur of the moment things."

The tears start to well in my eyes, along with a deep longing to be in Italy, not barrelling down a highway. The car coasted into the breakdown lane as I listened to Franny's barrage of curses.