Chapter 16 - "I am always gonna be with you"

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger." - Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights

*Sakura's POV*

My body started to tremble and my skin got goosebumps. It was cold. I could feel the wind around me. Am I alive? Where am I? I heard the leaves dancing in the wind, and I felt a slow movement. I was moving. Somewhere behind, I could feel the heat of flames. Some small droplets of water hit my face. Was it raining? I slowly opened my eyes.

I was met by a chest covered in a black sweater. I moved my gaze and I could see Itachi's face. It was covered in blood and... tears. I could say by the way he was walking and moving that he was drained of chakra and extremly tired. Did he save me? Why? Why would he risk his life for such a meaningless creature as myself? I was nothing but a burden to everyone. His tears hit my face and it seems like he hasn't noticed that I was watching him. He continued to walk slowly straight ahead.

In the corner of my eyes, I could see the forest on fire

In the corner of my eyes, I could see the forest on fire. But it wasn't an usual fire. No. The flames were pitch black as his eyes.

I wanted to say something but my eyelids felt heavy and the darkness swallowed me once again.

I woke up taking in my surroudings. I was under a tree, covered with Itachi's cloak. It was raining heavily.
Under another tree, some feets away was Itachi, barely holding himself on his legs. He tried to support himself with an arm on the tree. He coughed a few times and I could see blood pouring from his mouth. Without thinking, I got up and ran towards him not caring that I was in lingerie, nor that the rain soaked me.

"Itachi..."

He looked at me, his eyes restless, worried and sad... I put my hand on his cheek, caressing it.

"Itachi..." I bit my lower lip. He looked miserable and I couldn't stand seeing him like this. I felt the tears forming in the corners of my eyes.

He put both of his hands on my cheeks, looking into my eyes.

"Are you alright?" he asked me worried. He is the one who is hurt and still asks me if I'm fine. I nodded.

"You're hurt." I said it more like a statement. He waved his hand like it would be an unimportant topic.

"Stop acting so tough, Itachi. I need to try to heal your wounds with the small amout of chakra that I have." he studied me from head to toes and sighed.

"You will freeze." he started heading towards the tree where I left the cloak but I caught his arm.

"Don't, just don't do this. Don't act like you're fine when I can see damn clear that you are not. It's ok to let people help you. You can't do everything on your own. Damn, forget about me for some freaking five minutes and let me heal you before it's too late." I felt the anger taking over.

He turned to me with tears in his eyes.

"Why do you wanna do that?" he asked, his voice shaking.

"Because I care about you. I care about you even more than I care about myself. Heck, I would drain all my chakra and fain over and over again than seeing you hurt and doing nothing. Because... Despite all you think about human's weaknesses, it's ok to care. Y-you..."

I felt my voice breaking

I felt my voice breaking. "You made me feel something that I couldn't know that it's possible. If I had to choose, right now, to heal a person between you and your brother, I would choose you..." I said letting my tears flowing. He grabbed my wrist firmly and pulled me into a hug. He caressed my hair. I felt safe whenever I was close to him but this proximity made me feel something even stronger that I felt for Saauke. All my life I thought that I won't get over him, that I will forever have a hopeless crush, but oh Kami, I was so wrong.

He took my face in his palms and pulled me into a kiss. Not the lustful type of kiss, but the kind of kiss that makes your kness go weak, the kind of kiss that makes you feel that you two are the only persons on the Earth. We pulled apart and he put his forehead on mine, looking into my eyes. Everytime he looked like that at me I felt my heart racing and my skin burning. There are no words to describe such an intense feeling.

"I am sorry. I am sorry for everything." I just nodded. He kissed my forehead and laid down on the grass. I sat near him and I put my hands on his chest, letting my chakra into his body.

After some minutes, I found something that made me gasp. My eyes shot open.

"Y-your lungs are..." I couldn't even finish my sentence. His lungs weren't so good, he had major problems which will kill him if I don't take care of it.

He grabbed my wrist.

"I know. But don't think about it. There is no point in healing them. I will die anyway by Sasuke's hand. This is my destiny."

My lower lip started to tremble.

"B-but why?"

He sighed.

"I have to pay for my sins. For the fact that I couldn't stop my clan, for choosing the easy path." he studied my reaction but I held my head low, letting my bangs to cover my eyes.

"I don't wanna lose you." I looked into his eyes, his dark orbs softening.

"You won't. I am always gonna be with you." he put his hand on my heart. I put my hand on top of his. I kept his words as a promise that will keep flowing through my mind until my last day. I wanted to cry so bad. I finally met someone who cared about me but I am forced to give up on them. I never imaginated that I could feel such sorrow. Everything around me crumbled and the air got stuck in my throat. I want to make the last moments with him the best moments of our lives.

*

We walked slowly through the hideout door, hand in hand.

"Wow, Itachi, you look like shit." Hidan said studying us both. "But I see that you got your Cherry Blossom back." he smirked watching our hands.

"Hn."

He dragged me back into his bedroom and closed the door shut. I helped him to lay on the bed.

"What will Pein say?" I asked worried.

"He has no right to say anything. Even tho he's the leader, he's not the strongest. I would crush him in minutes for your safety." he smirked. I giggled. How lucky I am to have someone who would fight even the Akatsuki leader for me. Not even in my dreams I thought that this was possible.