«chapter thirty-six: back to normal»

___________________

___________________

CATGIRL'S POV

By the time we get home, it's around six.

Even though we haven't blocked the memory yet, I feel lighter. Like everything has been lifted off of my shoulders when I told her everything. It was like I could finally be comfortable in my own skin again.

But that doesn't change the fact that I still need to tell Dick. The ride home was a silent one with me looking out the window and trying to avoid eye-contact with him.

He didn't say much to me after I agreed to block the memory and not erase it. He said thank you to M'gann, like I did, and spoke a few words with Bruce.

I can still feel a slight tension when the two talk to each other. That uneasy feeling sinks back in my stomach as I realize that I am the cause of all of this. If I hadn't joined the Team then none of this would have happened and they would still be able to have an actual conversation. But if I hadn't, I might be a much different person, one that I hardly recognize.

But it's too late to think about that. I can't guilt trip myself anymore than I already have.

We both sit down in the living room, Dick turning on the news. I can tell that he wants to go out on patrol by his expression.

'Nightwing has been missing for a few weeks, no criminal has reported to being stopped by the masked vigilante.' The news anchor reports.

'But, get this, the police say that they have had reports of Red Robin, and the Red Hood as well as a few visits from the dynamic duo.

'We can only guess where our protector has gone. But does this mean that the vigilante is friends with the Batman? Why else would he-'

"Why did you turn it off?" Dick asks from the couch. He was so focused on it that he didn't even realized that I got up from my spot next to him.

"Don't stop for me," I shake my head, finally looking at him. "Jason or Tim can watch me sleep just as fine as you can. Besides, it will all be over in a few hours." I cross my arms over my chest. I'm not going to hold guilt for this either; I'm not going to let him pause his life for me.

"Now is the time you choose to be your old self?" He asks with a tired smile, one that makes my heart skip a beat as he tries to shake the comment off. I don't smile back so he sighs,"I'm not not going out because of you. I-"