«chapter thirty-four: layers»

___________________

___________________

CATGIRL'S POV

I'm scared to say it; that I forgot the team and everything we had been through together. I didn't want to say it, and I didn't want to say why I did.  Maybe it was because of guilt for forgetting. Maybe it was because I was scared that someone could just take my memories like that and twist them. Because saying it out loud makes this all real.

"I didn't... you are the first person I'm tell this," I get out while trying to make it somehow sound better. It doesn't work from the look she gives me.

"You-"

"They did an 'operation' on me," I start with what she and the others do know. "That's what they called it anyway. I did see Psimon talking to Ra's al Ghul after I woke up. After whatever they did, I wasn't the same...as you can clearly see. " I pause, not wanting to say what I have to say.

She waits for me to finish. I wish she wouldn't.

I close my eyes for a moment before I open them and say, "When I woke up, I didn't try to fight. I obeyed him. I didn't remember you or the Team. It was like... like I was back in time. I was back to the lowest point in my life. With him, and that sucked," I shake my head, my fingers gripping my jeans to stay grounded. "I didn't even remember the dream or why I was crying. " I bite my lip and look down at my hands. "Why I felt sick and empty," I get out.

"He did that to us one time..." M'gann says, giving me some time to compose myself. "We couldn't remember the last few months of our lives. But you... he couldn't have. It's impossible for you to get your memories back on your own. He didn't erase them... maybe..." She is at a loss and I can tell. She sighs,"I don't know. If you will let me in..."

I nod and her eyes light up not even a second later as if she knew what my choice would be. She probably did.

The pain comes back but it is different this time. The feelings are back but when I open my eyes, I see something I didn't think I would ever see again.

"What is this place?"

I jump when I hear M'gann's voice beside me. She shouldn't be in here.

"Sorry," She apologizes. "We are in your mind right now. This was the first stop. Here?" She looks around curiously. "An old apartment? Is this yours?"

"No," I answer, my eyes fix on one spot on the floor,"This was the place my brother was killed," I mutter and I swear I smell the copper in the air.

She moves to put a hand on my shoulder but when she does, the spot becomes my brother in a flash of lightening.

She jumps back, but I can't move. How can I with him here? My dreams... they were never this realistic. Always close but....

Something makes me move to him as if we are tied together by a string and it's getting shorter and shorter.