«chapter twenty-three: too late»

___________________

___________________

NIGHTWING'S POV

I miss Artemis like crazy and how she would tease Wally and make nasty remarks under her breath. I missed how she could bring the team together, old and new, and we would still have a good time. She was like the glue.

I miss her for Wally, because I can only imagine how he feels, he has almost lost her twice now. And both are my fault.

And I have pictures as punishment.

The pictures that Wally took a few weeks ago seem to mock me.

I stare at one of the picture down in my hand. In the picture, there is a happy raven-haired boy, and a safe brown-haired girl staring at each other with smiles.

The next picture is one of them kissing, the one I had to stop her from killing Wally for. That happens a lot.

I pulled her back into my chest and held her there, now I don't know where she is being held.

I want to see the curve of her smile, and the sparkle in her eye when she gets excited about something. I want to see her read and get so consumed in the book that she forgets where she is. I want to hear her voice from all the way down the hall because anything she says makes me zone in on nothing but her. To hear her laugh again, or joke around with her snappy replies.

I want her to be here, next to me, and feel safe. To be safe. I want her.

But it's only just a picture. A picture of one of the best memories with her, that I can't have right now. And I'm not promised to ever have them again. But I will. I have to believe I will.

I feel a hand on my shoulder. I look up, blinking a few times, and put the pictures away.

Wally looks down at me then the picture sadly. He gave up asking after the sixth day, just two days after I told the police department about her and Artemis. I think he wants to ask, but he knows that if I have to answer with nothing one more time, I will punch the wall.

"Did you know that with everything going on, I never filled out Brooke's file for the League. Crazy, I know, but-"

"Dick, stop that."

"Stop what?" My jaw clenches.

"Changing the subject every time I walk into the room. Pretend that I didn't notice that you were looking at a picture of her." He sighs,"Talk to me, you are like a zombie now. "

"What is there to talk about? I am doing everything you asked." I grunt out, rereading her file. "I'm clean, and I have been working."

"Sleeping?" He asks, fully knowing the answer.