Chapter Three

Maria's POV

What an asshole. I save her from getting her ass kicked by my boyfriends and she talks to me like she owns the place? She is a, light skinned, Puerto Rican-Dominican, short hair, mature in the body like, woah. But I have no reason to have any respect for her. She didn't even ask me my name!
Well I didn't ask her hers either.
I trudged of the bus and into Kings High school. I hate this place. And now I have to spend time with James? I really want to end this relationship, but I'm afraid. I shouldn't be afraid of my boyfriend. He's forcing me into a relationship.
Meanwhile I have class.
First period, Geometry. Woo Hoo. I walked pass the girl in the yellow shirt. She's talking to the Schuyler sisters! Girls got connections.
"Have you been sm-smoking?" Angelica asked the girl.
"No Angelica it couldn't be coming from Peggy, she stoped smoking last year. Right?" Eliza replied.
"No I've been smoking" Peggy smiled smugly, "Now if you'll excuse me, I don't want to be late on my first day. Bye Angie. Bye Liza."
Peggy skipped away.
I approached Angelica and Eliza carefully. I know Ange hates my guys with a burning passion, but I need answers.
"And that's my cue to leave," Angelica said, turning away on her heel.
Eliza rolled her eyes at her sister.
"Who's Peggy?" I asked her.
"Our sister," she replied, shrugging like it meant nothing.
"Why is she such an asshole?"
"I don't know," Eliza sighed, "Ange and I set perfectly fine examples. Angie doesn't really like Peggy. She stopped liking her in seventh, when she started smoking. Peggy doesn't talk to us. I tried to get her to see a therapist. I think she cuts, but when I try bringing it up, she storms away into her room."
I looked at the ground.
"I need to fix her," I whispered.
"What?" Eliza asked, confused.
"Nothing. Thanks Liz! I'll see you later!"
"Bye Maria!"
Time skip to lunch
Peggy's POV

I sat down at the lunch table and sighed. Today was not going as planned. I've been picked on in the halls and I've already cut. I know I have a problem, and I realized I had a problem when I put gauze,a bandage, and a razor in my backpack.
I love Eliza. I really do. She cares about me. But sometimes it feels like people don't care. Like right now. I'm sitting by myself, people are avoiding me like I've got the Black Plague.
I don't think I have much of an appetite.
I dumped my lunch tray and left the room. I promptly went into the bathroom and lit a cigarette. I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply, enjoying the feeling of smoke filling my lungs. Yes, I know I'm gonna get lung cancer. And probably die. But that's the goal, right?
"Peggy?" I heard the girl from earlier ask.
When did she get in here, I thought.
"My names Maria, are you okay?" She asked.
"Yes, leave now," I sneered, though I felt like crying.
"Peggy, I talked to your sister, and this isn't healthy. You need help."
I really felt like crying. Her soft tone broke me. Usually people yell at me when they say, 'you need help'.
"I-no. I don't need help. If I wish to die, I'll die. No one would care. So why does it matter?" I laughed.
"Peggy, really, therapy would-" Maria started.
"No! Just stop! I'm not a frickin charity case! So what if I cut? So what if I smoke? So what if I kill my self tonight! No one. Cares. And don't start with the 'I do' bullshit. You met me today. Soon enough you'll learn why people avoid me." I laughed through the tears rolling down my cheeks and dripping onto my shirt.
"Peggy," she sounded heart broken.
"Save it. I know you and all your snobby friends think I'm a worthless piece of trash," I was crying, but I never stopped laughing. I wasn't smiling, just laughing.
"No I know what it's like-" Maria tried again.
"You don't," I whispered, and with that, I left her on the bathroom floor, confused and heartbroken for the small girl she just met.