Chapter 30: Emergency

Rina couldn’t breathe. No matter what she did, the air stayed trapped in her throat. Her body began to shake while her eyes gazed up at the frozen girl hovering above her. She looked down, her shaking becoming worse as she saw the blood beginning to drip down the handle of the blade and over her hand. Haruna’s blood. All this blood… It belonged to the one woman she loved so deeply and had always tried to protect.

Haruna was hurt and it was her fault. All her fault.

The young brunette’s attention was brought back to Haruna’s face when she heard the newly injured girl cough. Haruna wanted to move her body but she was unable to. She stayed frozen in place with her body hunched over Rina’s, her hands gripping Rina’s wrist… The wrist that belonged to the hand which gripped the blade now embedded in Haruna’s abdomen.

“Rina, how could you do this?” The two girls heard Tomomi choke out from where she still sad. Neither Rina nor Haruna looked at her. Rina simply shook her head over and over again, the tears pooling in her eyes. How could this happen? She didn’t remember doing this. She didn’t even remember grabbing a knife, she had no idea how she had come to be in this position.

“Haruna…” Rina murmured softly. The young brunette gulped softly, the first tears beginning to cascade down her cheeks. No… She couldn’t have really done this. She would never hurt Haruna… It had to be someone else. Rina would never…

Rina was shaken when she heard Haruna groan, her body slipping forward and a small whimper escaping her as the weight of her body collapsing pushed the knife further into her. Haruna could feel the knife piercing through her, feeling as if it was shredding her insides. Rina reacted quickly this time. She dropped her hands from the blade, forcing Haruna to let go of her as well.

Carefully, Rina moved Haruna off of her. She laid the eldest girl on her side onto the ground, Haruna’s breathing heavy and erratic. Rina sniffled softly, her hands shaking while they hovered over Haruna’s body. Haruna could do nothing but sob and shake; she was petrified in fear. It hurt; everything hurt. The eldest brunette found little movement in her body as she raised her hands, gripping the handle of the blade. Rina shook her head, quickly grabbing Haruna’s hands and bringing them away from the knife.

“Don’t touch,” Rina choked out in barely above a whisper. What did she do? She didn’t know. Did she pull out the knife? Did she leave it in? She had no idea what to do for Haruna but she had to do something, Haruna could die if Rina just left her here like this.

“Take it-take it out… Please take it out,” Haruna said nearly breathlessly. Her crying was getting heavier as the pain set in more and more. Her shaking wasn’t helping. With every shake that ripped through her body, it felt like the knife was pushing itself in deeper and deeper into her flesh. She couldn’t take this anymore. It hurt. She wanted the knife out.

“O-okay. Just… Just hold still.” Rina could barely see. The tears clouded her vision as she reached forward to the knife. What had she done? She could have very well just killed her best friend. She would never be able to live with herself if Haruna lost her life here.

“Don’t touch it…” Rina’s head snapped over to look at Tomomi. The slightly older girl was now on her knees, her hand still clutched against the ever bleeding wound on her face. The tears were running down Tomomi’s face now, mixing with the crimson color that painted her cheeks. Rina narrowed her eyes. Her. Tomomi had to have had something to do with this. She knew it. She knew Tomomi would lead to Haruna getting hurt; she just didn’t imagine this would be how.

“No one needs your help; this is your fault,” Rina bit at her. Tomomi didn’t falter. She didn’t want to falter anymore; she had before and look at what has happened. Her girlfriend now laid bleeding and dying on the floor, all because she was too scared to stand up to Rina and protect Haruna.