Chapter 4: Bonding Time

“Oh my gosh, Haru! Isn’t he so cute?!” Rina gushed. Haruna crouched down beside Rina, looking the small black and white Shih Tzu puppy in the face. The small dog barked before running around in a circle, coming to another stop and barking again. Well, Rina had a point, the puppy was awfully cute. “Can we take him home?!” And there it was; animal lover Rina. Rina had a soft spot for animals, it seemed like she wanted to take home every cute animal she saw. She always asked even though Haruna said no every single time. She had hope that one of these days, she’d break down the older girl into saying yes. If you bother someone enough with the same question, eventually the answer will change from no to yes, wouldn’t it? That’s what Rina figured.

“Rina, you know we can’t afford a pet right now.” Haruna knew that her words would disappoint Rina, but there was really no use in lying to her, that would just be worse in the long run. Rina dropped her head in disappointment at Haruna’s words. Today was just not the day that Haruna would say yes to her. Her friend wrapped her arms around Rina. “Don’t be sad, we’ll get a pet soon. Just for you.”

“You always say that!” Rina whined. Haruna laughed softly, giving her a soft kiss on the top of her head. The girls needed better jobs before they could get more money to afford a pet. Even if they did, Haruna wasn’t exactly sure how a puppy would be able to survive around the three maniacs she called her friends. She was sure that Mami and Tomomi would try to do experiments with it or something else stupid like that, she didn’t put it past those two.

“I know, Rina, but I mean it. We’ll get you one soon; we just need to get a bit more stable, alright? Just be patient.” Rina huffed at the words. She was already being patient. She was tired of trying to be patient.

“Whatever you say, Haru.” Rina smiled at Haruna as the elder girl picked the two of them off the floor. Rina bid her goodbyes to the young puppy, promising it that she’d come back soon before the two left to try and find Mami and Tomomi, who were hidden away in the rodent section of the pet store. Why they had come to a pet store in the mall, Haruna would never know. She didn’t want to go but at 3 to 1, she was a little bit out-voted. She was never really given in a say in the matter. As Rina and Haruna made their way to the back of the store, they found the other two, staring intently into the tank of a small mouse.

“Leave it up to the two rats to be interested in the rats,” Haruna commented, stealing back the duo’s attention from the mice.

“Excuse me, Miss Snarky Pants, but they’re mice,” Mami corrected with a grin.

“Is there a difference?”

“A big one!” Mami exclaimed, preparing to launch into a tirade about how mice and rats were different from each other. Haruna stopped her, placing a hand over her mouth to quiet down the blonde. Haruna let out a small cry, feeling Mami’s saliva violate her hand. A red color came to Haruna’s cheeks as she noticed a few people were staring at her now thanks to Mami. She wiped her hand on her pants, glaring at the blonde.

“Why did you lick me?” she hissed to her blonde friend. Mami laughed softly, placing her hands on her hips and looking proud of herself.

“Shouldn’t put your hand over my mouth,” Mami said with her ever so familiar grin. Haruna just blinked at the blonde, not having anything more to say to her. Mami and Haruna were very similar to each other in this instance; they always had a smart comeback to whatever the other one said but eventually, the comebacks would run dry and they’d be at a loss for words.