Chapter 26: Last Resort

Rina gave a small yawn, her uninjured hand rubbing at her eyes as her legs carried her through the apartment. She knew it was late and she knew that she had missed school, although she didn’t particularly care. With her head killing her and her hand still hurting, Rina was in no mood to be at school. She never thought she would be but right now, she was happy that she had missed school.

Rina moved her hand from her eyes to her hair, raking her fingers through her still messy brunette locks. She didn’t know if anyone else was still home or if they had all left, the only thing she hoped for was Tomomi to be gone. She was thankful for the way the slightly older brunette had taken care of her last night but that didn’t mean she had forgiven her for what she was trying to do to Haruna last night as well. She didn’t particularly want to see Tomomi right now.

The tired brunette rounded the corner into the kitchen and she came to a dead stop when she saw Haruna sitting at the table, her head cradled in her hands. Haruna had heard the footsteps and when she did, she looked up, giving Rina a weak smile. She silently beckoned for Rina to come join her at the table and while partially hesitant, Rina agreed to.

She made her way over to the small wooden table, taking a seat across from Haruna. Rina took in a deep breath, exhaling shakily and keeping her eyes on the ground. The shame still coursed through her body and she wasn’t sure if she could handle looking at Haruna right now. She was nearly afraid that if she did look at Haruna, she would break down immediately. Rina couldn’t shake the feeling that Haruna might be disappointed in her. She knew deep down that Haruna probably wasn’t disappointed at all but it didn’t stop the irrational thoughts from invading her mind.

Haruna didn’t feel the same way as Rina did though; she couldn’t take her eyes off the silent brunette. Haruna’s body leaned forward onto the table, her arms crossed over the sleek wooden surface as her eyes bored into the young girl in front of her. Haruna wanted to say something; she wanted to say anything. She couldn’t think of anything to say though. Whenever she did try to think of something to say, she thought back to this morning and the questions she was dying to ask came back to her mind.

Earlier in the day, Haruna had woken up when Tomomi was getting ready to leave for work. While her girlfriend got ready, Haruna began questioning Tomomi about the odd question she had asked the night before. She was feeling too sick and too tired the night before to question it but today, she felt a lot better and now she was curious. It took a lot of coaxing, hugging, and kissing but Haruna finally got Tomomi to agree to tell her just what she had been thinking when she asked Haruna that one odd question.

However, when Haruna actually got her answer, she didn’t feel so appreciative of getting it as she thought she would. She almost regretted ever getting curious and asking Tomomi. Once Tomomi told her the thoughts and the evidence that had let her to that point, all Haruna could think about was that night from so many years ago.

Thinking back on it, Haruna couldn’t help but feel a bit betrayed by Rina. After she had hurt herself the first time, Haruna had made Rina promise not to do it again and if she did want to, Haruna wanted Rina to come to her first. But Rina hadn’t done that at all and that was what made Haruna feel betrayed. She wanted to believe that Rina would come to her in a time of need, although she couldn’t say she was too surprised. This was how Rina operated and this incident was a perfect example of why Haruna hated this part of Rina.

Haruna only desired to help Rina; she only wanted to find a way to get through to the young girl. After all these years, Haruna had not yet found out how to do that. Rina was always the type of person to insist that she didn’t need help and that she’d rather be the strong one who helped others. Neither Haruna nor Mami had ever been able to convince Rina that she could help people while also receiving help for her own problems. She was so caught up always wanting to help and take care of others that Rina often forgot to care for herself.