CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT - Improvement

The next morning, I'm prepared for the ache of my body as I stand up from the plastic chair. It's the most uncomfortable thing you could ever sleep on, but I'm trying not to complain. People have been in worse situations than sleeping on a hard chair.

I pick my phone up and turn it on.

7 messages.

That's a lot of messages.

I open it up, and feel slight relief when I see they're from Chloe, Rose and Harvey.

Chloe - Are you okay? We heard what happened. If you need anything ring me xx

Chloe - Omg. You're lucky you're not here. Kravitz just sprung a test on us. I hate him. It's 100% official. He's satan reborn.

Me - Thanks, Chlo xx Hah have fun with that one! Let me know how dreadful it was!

Truth is, I'd rather be in Humanities doing some surprise test than here.

Rose - I know that asking if you're okay is a stupid question, so I'm not going to ask you.

Rose - But I'm here if you need to talk or anything and everything else!

Rose - I love youuuuuu!

Rose - OMG. We have a test. What kind of insane person does a surprise test?! Kravitz is loopy.

Me - It kinda is a pointless question ;) But thank you, I appreciate it xx Kravitz has always been loopy. How have you not figured that out yet?

I smile at her consideration towards the situation. I know they're trying to make me feel better, and it worked slightly. But it's only temporary. As in 2 second temporary. I tap on Harvey's name.

Sprinkles - Just going to let you know that ur Mum called the school. She said that ur off for at least a week due to a family emergency. If you need anything today RING ME! I love you :*

Me - A week? Wow. How generous of her... But thank you for telling me xx Love you too :)

A week. She said one week. What kind of situation does she think this is? Does she think that I can just snap my fingers and everything will be fine? That maybe if I do Dad will wake up and be perfectly okay? She's even loopier than Kravitz. She hasn't even tried to contact me since Saturday. Some mother she is.

Anger boils inside me, but I ignore it. I can't afford to be such an emotional wreck. Tristan's right. I have to look after myself too.

At the thought, I remember that I didn't get anything from the canteen yesterday. That I only ate a nut bar yesterday. That I haven't eaten since Friday night. I grab my purse from my bag, looking at Dad once more. He's still there. Trying not to think about the guilt I have, I walk out of the room and towards the little canteen that's built into the wall. You walk past it when you go towards all of the rooms.

I find that, to my relief, it's open. The lady at the counter gives me a smile.

"What can I get you?" She asks in a sweet, friendly voice.

I scan the options and decide on a salad roll and a bottle of water. I pay for the food and hurry back to Dad's room.

I've been gone for long enough.

I push open the door and am met with Dr. Carlisle doing his usual checks.

"Ah, Cass! It's good to see you're taking care of yourself," he notes as he looks at my food.

I give him a small smile before sitting down in the plastic chair, crossing my legs beneath me.

"Is he doing any better?" I ask hopeful.