CHAPTER FORTY SIX - A Small Relief and Unwanted Interactions

Doing what Tristan told me, I leave the hospital at 3pm and head towards the bank. I haven't rang Harvey yet, but I've messaged him a few times.

I grab my phone from my pocket and dial his number. After a few rings, he answers.

"Hey," he says softly.

"Hi."

"How's everything going?"

"Ah, okay, I guess. I just filled out a heap of forms and bills. All of that stuff, and I'm on my way to the bank."

I reach the traffic lights again, and I press the crossing button.

"Why are you going there?"

"Dad's mate, Tristan, you know the one who went on the fishing trip with him?" I ask.

"Yeah. They're neighbours," he answers.

"He came to the hospital and he helped me fill out all of the forms. I didn't want to sign anything that I shouldn't-" the green man starts to beep and I cross. "He said that Dad's health insurance should cover most of the bills, but we put my card down for any excess. He wants me to go to the bank and put a certain amount of money away. So if anything goes downhill I have money to sustain myself," I elaborate.

I turn right, and walk down the main street, dodging people as rush hour begins.

Harvey takes his time to reply, processing everything.

"What could go downhill?" He asks cautiously.

I take a deep breath.

You need to tell him about the possibility of Melbourne, and how long it's going to take.

"The doctors want to transfer Dad to Melbourne," my voice quiet.

"Wait. Why?" He sounds paniced.

"He has internal bleeding. He's in a coma. The only reason why he wasn't sent there first was because they needed to stabilise him. Dr. Carlisle said that at this point, sending him to Melbourne would be the best decision."

Tears fill my eyes again, but I blink them back. I haven't broken down yet. I will not break down. I need to stay strong. I need to. I have to.

"So the money's being put away so you can go down to Melbourne and get back home when you need to," he clarifies.

"Yep. But Harvey-" my voice cracks. "He's not going to wake up for a month. Dr. Carlisle said that they'll take him off the machines in a few weeks if he improves, but he won't wake up for another couple of weeks after. Then he has recovery. It's going to take months," my voice is broken and defeated, and a stray tear falls down my cheek. I wipe it away.

"It's going to be okay," he reassures me. His voice confident and strong. "He's going to wake up. He's going to get better."

"I know. It's just... Seeing him in that bed. It's taking everything in me to not break down. How am I going to cope if something else does go wrong?"

"Cass, listen to me. I meant it when I said you're the strongest person I've ever met. I love you, and I'm here for you. I will forever. You'll get through this. We all will. And we'll all be okay."

I take a minute to note the passion in his voice. To hear the love and feel the butterflies when he says he loves me. To know that he's here for me, even if he's not standing infront of me.

"I love you too."

I can see the bank a few shops up and I feel nervous.

"I have to go, I'm nearly at the bank. But I'll let you know how it goes," I say with a small smile, even though he can't see it.