Chapter 29: Okay

Samantha

Piece by piece, I slowly shed my dirty clothes stopping at my undergarments. I track my fingertips over my little belly for a second. I quickly rid myself of the thought of keeping it. I plugged my phone up in a wall outlet on it's charger. The dark clouds in my mind had consumed me whole and I was telling myself this was unavoidable – I was starting to believe it.

I slug over to the landline pulling the phone up to my ear dialing January's number; she answered on the last ring. Her 'hello' was cautious. She must get a lot of unknown calls from random chicks, I suppose. "It's me, Sam," I say trying to imagine how I was going to even somewhat put my situation into words. "Why are you calling from an out of town number?" she quickly asks with a sigh of relief in her voice. "Well, I'm out of town obviously"

"Oh, so you getting snappy with me?"

"Just saying, I mean clearly" I laugh a little. "What you doing for the next couple days? Are you busy?" I ask. "I mean, yeah but I can free it up for you" she replies. "You want to fly to Texas tonight?" there was a short pause. "I can't afford to do that on such short notice" she pouts. "Blue, I got you. Can you make it the airport in two hours?" I ask ready to book the flight.

I hop up retrieving my laptop out of my suitcase. "Damn, can I pack?" she cries. "Well, get your ass up. Send me your fax information and I'll fax you the ticket" I laugh grabbing my wallet pulling out Aidan's black card. "And one more favor?" I coo.

"What's up, ma" she chuckles. "Can you go pick up my dog from Aidan's house and bring her with you?" I plead saying 'please' until she finally agreed. "Okay, fine. Fine, but what's going on?" she prods. I could hear the concern in her voice.

"Well, I'm single."

"Single? Wait, what? I thought ya'll were about to get married soon?"

"Aidan has been cheating. Of course, I cheated with you too but unfortunately, you still don't want me. And I don't want him. It's time to just hang it up. Though, I don't think Aidan will ever let me go easy. I never really wanted to marry his dumb ass anyways. There is a key in the smallest flower pot outside the door." I think for a second.

"I'm really tired of my life" I softly giggle. "Are you okay?" she questions. "No. I can't even celebrate the fact that I made it to 27 because boy, has it been a struggle." I paused briefly as my mind overflows. "But you're here and that's reason enough" her voice was small.

I suck my teeth in an attempt to dismiss her comment. "I'm pregnant and I'm not keeping it" I blurt. It was best to try not to think about all the minor details and just look at the big picture. "You have to keep it" I could feel the smoldering of tears seep the corners of my eyelids "No, I can't. It'll be half him" my voice begins to crack as the tears were irreconcilable with my facade.