Chapter 21

Ashton
Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to do this. Maybe Calum wasn't ready.

We all wanted him to be happy, to be okay again. I was hoping that if we did something that he had done before that made him happy when he was human then I could get something out of him, anything.

He seemed so emotionless since, well since he got turned. I wish I could've saved him, I'm still trying to, (I had my guards bring anyone who had powers to the castle to be questioned).

I asked the other two what they thought, they agreed with me, said even they would enjoy doing something fun as well.

Michael was the one to come up with it. He told me all about how him and Calum used to go camping every summer and make s'mores and go fishing and all that fun stuff. I had personally never done any of that, never needed to or even wanted to. But Michael and Luke seemed very happy about the idea so I agreed.

We couldn't exactly go camping at the moment so we settled for having a little campfire outside and making s'mores.

Calum just sat on the grass and watched us all with sad eyes. It had taken a lot of convincing just to get him out of the bed and away from the castle.

I started the fire and stood up, turning to see Luke and Michael jumping up and down in excitement.

Calum was now just staring into the fire intently, like he was spacing out. I sat down next to him and nudged his side lightly.

"Cal, babe, you okay?" I ask. He jumps and looks at me with wide eyes before shaking his head, a smile growing on his face. I was left speechless, he hadn't smiled since he got turned.

"I'm great." He says happily and I nod. He quickly runs over to where Luke and Michael are starting to eat all the chocolate.

He didn't seem okay.

I watched as he smiled and laughed, the other boys seemed to be as shocked as I was, just a few seconds ago he would barely even look at me or one of the boys and it seemed now the only thing he wanted to do was be near us.

I didn't know if I should feel happy or suspicious.

He suddenly turned around and his smile slowly disappeared into a look of awe.

"You know, I never really noticed how beautiful the castle was before." He murmured. I turned to look at the castle, the sun was starting to go down and I had to admit it did look pretty.

"Yeah I guess it is." I murmured.

The small smile on his face slowly faded away and he looked down at the ground before looking at all of us sadly.

"You guys know I love you right?" We all nodded and I got up to wrap an arm around his shoulders.

"Of course we know that, we love you too. What brought that up?" I wondered as Luke and Michael both hugged Calum as well.

"Nothing, I just, I-I just wanted you guys to know that." He shivered and I frowned.

"Everything okay?" I asked warily and he nodded, smiling again but it didn't meet his eyes.

"I'm great." He said and turned away from us to go sit back down on the ground. "Now let's make some s'mores!" He said excitedly.

I got a chill as I watched him. Something was really wrong.