Chapter 19

Luke
"You think I would hurt them?" Calum asked and glared at Ashton.

He slowly took a step forward and Ashton tensed up. "What happened to you?" He muttered.

"What do you mean? Nothing happened?"

"You're turned. You aren't human anymore. I'd say something happened." Ashton said and Calum shrugged.

"Well I mean he told me it would be better this way. You can't lie to me anymore, I can fight things off on my own, I could be stronger and faster. Why wouldn't I let him change me?" He smiled and licked his lips when he looked at me and Michael.

"How do you stand to be so close to them? I just want to..." He trailed off and his eyes started to change to a dark red.

"Calum who did this? Calum!" Ashton yelled and Calum's gaze was torn from me and Michael.

"Who do you think? The same guy who fed off me at the party. But you wouldn't care would you? You weren't there to protect me." Ashton clenched his jaw.

"I wish I could have been, and I can if you just tell me who did it."

Calum smiled and I shivered. He didn't look like my gentle Calum, he looked scary and cold.

"He's here right now." Calum pointed behind us and I tensed up, slowly turning around.

There was no one there.

"Calum...there's no one in here but us four." Ashton mumbled softly.

"There is. He's right behind you." He said forcefully.

"No ones there Cal." Michael said softly, his voice cracking.

"There is!" He stopped and his eyes suddenly widened.

"No." He whispered and shook his head. "You promised!" He yelled and rubbed his eyes with his fists.

He shivered and closed his eyes. When he opened them again they were back to their original brown.

He had tears in his eyes as looked right at Ashton. "I don't know what's happening. I'm scared."

Ashton slowly put his hands down from their protective stance around me and Michael.

"Calum it's okay, just-just tell me what happened and who did this, okay?" He said in a soft voice.

"I can't." He muttered hopelessly.

"Why?" I piped up and his eyes flashed to me.

"Because he said...he just said...I just can't okay? I'm trying so hard to protect you guys right now." He sniffled and Ashton took a hesitant step towards him. And when Calum didn't move he took another one.

Ashton finally rushed forward when he thought Calum didn't mean any harm. He engulfed Calum into his arms and Calum immediately wrapped his arms around Ashton, burying his face in his neck.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I don't want to." He mumbled softly.

Ashton managed to get Calum to sit down on the bed. But no matter how much he asked, Calum wouldn't tell them about what happened or who did it.

When Calum calmed down some and stopped crying, he didn't do anything but just sit still on the bed, looking at the candle on the nightstand. His eyes were still watering like he was going to start crying again but he was completely still.

He stayed spaced out for a while, the only thing he did that proved he wasn't completely dead was his mumbling.

"I'm not going to. I won't do it." He kept mumbling over and over again.

And even though no one in the room said a thing, I swear I could hear just the faintest of a whisper answer his rambling.

"You won't have a choice."