Old Wounds

"Well?"

Silence filled the air.

"Is it working?"

Silence...

"Did you-"

A growl crawled it's way up Dean's throat and launched itself at William. "Shut your goddamn hole!!"

Silence filled the room for another few minutes...

"So...is it working?"

Dean swung his gaze in William's direction. Pinning the male with a withering glare. "Ask me that one more time. I dare you. I fucking dare you." He hissed.

William served him a glare of his own, the tension increasing as they silently wished all forms of death on each other. After about a minute they both came to some sort of unspoken truce and sighed in unison before looking away.

William was the first to speak again. "I'm just... On edge she's been missing for a while Dean-"

"I'm aware" Dean cut in dryly.

"-and now, after all the worry and panic and anger at not knowing if she was alive, or-" he pressed his lips together unable to say dead. The amount of times he'd laid awake in bed unable to sleep as images after images of her possible death floated around his mind were countless. They'd search endlessly for her. Called in favour after favour. Abusing their connections. And nothing! Until now...

Which brought about another more chilling thought. Someone was hiding her. Or had been. Either way, something bigger was going on here.

William sighed. "I just need to know if she's okay. I need to see her for myself, hold her..." He looked up to see Dean staring at him with a surprised expression. He frowned. "What?"

Dean shook his head and dropped his gaze. He gave a shrug as he turned away and looked out the window.  Irritation bubbled up inside of William. "What Dean? Spit it out!" Dean was silent for so long William assumed the immature little brat was ignoring him.

"It's just," Dean started quietly, "I haven't seen you like this in years..." It was William's turn to be surprised. "like what?"

Dean shrugged again. It was clear he was having trouble speaking his mind, a rare sight. "Human..."

William was quiet for a while. But curiosity was a relentless bitch. "Human?"

"Yeah, you're being...real. You're actually showing me how you really feel instead of parading around that emotionless mask you seem to have inherited from your daddy dearest."

William snarled, baring his fangs briefly at Dean. "I'm not like my father!" He spat angrily. Rage bubbling up inside him so hot it practically burned. Dean held his gaze unwaveringly and a cold expression took hold of his features. "Well, you could have fooled me" he retorted. His words were bold and sharp, meant to cut. Tension filled the air and something dark and heavy was left unsaid between them.

They had another stare down. William's eyes seeming more green than blue in his state of anger and, yes, hurt, while Dean's blue gaze seemed to be carved from the coldest ice. It was quite the sight to see. William was never one to wear his emotions so openly, normally the calm and levelheaded one that preferred to use logic and clear thinking over rash hastily decided actions. As was the general behaviour of the Erotikos Daimonas race once their humanity dwindled away. The ability to easily shed basic emotions was one of their most useful skills. It made them stronger hunters, fiercer killers and sharper thinkers. And as ironic as it seemed, expert lovers.

But that didn't mean they didn't feel. That they didn't experience emotions or couldn't display them if necessary. It was a choice. A choice to hide away such disruptions and a choice many made gladly. However, being so young as Dean-and even Lana- were, control of their emotions was much more difficult to attain and became easier with time. One of the main reasons Dean has always been an exact opposite to William. Dean was temperamental, holding on to anger and hurt for years that festered a wounded heart he was better off removing. Now he carried the dead blackened thing in his chest like a ton of rocks weighing him down.