Guaduation Day

Aquiver ~43

Graduation Day

Midnight

•Hayes Grier•

"Happy Birthday Hayes," someone says from behind and wraps their arms around me. I turn around from the view of the streets of Cali and turn around in their arms to see Charlotte. She now stands right in front of me in a tank top and shorts. Her hair is up in a bun and I smile down at her.

"Thank you Char," I smile. "The first to greet me on my eighteenth birthday."

"Officially a legal adult. My best friend is getting older." I chuckle and she laughs lightly. I suddenly feel my phone vibrating.

"You're not far off Char. Just in a few months I will be saying the same thing. For now..." I swoop her off her feet and she squeals and wraps her arms around my neck as I bring her back into my room. I close the door and set her down by my bed where I notice ... presents. "Are these for me?"

"Birthday and gradation. Since you've given me my graduation presents, it's only fair I give you yours."

"Okay," I smile. She makes me sit on my bed as she hands me the first box. I unwrap the gift to find the box labeled Michael Kors. I open the box to see the Bradshaw Black-Tone and Silicone Watch. I look up at her with my eyes wide. "Char... this is way too much."

"Hayes, we're going to Europe for two weeks after we go to Georgia with everyone. I don't think this is the expensive gift here. Here's your next gift."

"I love the watch." She then hands me a rectangular box about the size of a book. I felt the need to carefully unwrap it to find a back of a frame. I turn the frame over to smile at the picture she had chosen.

I remember this day. I had no idea a picture was even taken. It's a picture of Char and I at her gym. This was the time she was doing gymnastics back in October. We were taking a break and she let me walk on the beam with her. She was walking backwards and held both of my hands. We're smiling at each other having a great time.

"I'm going to hang this up in my dorm room," I smile and carefully put it on my table.

"Here is your other present. She hands me a rectangular box and I notice a bit of weight to it. I can tell it's a box. Must be something inside a box. I unwrap the paper to find a white box. I open the box and push the tissue paper out of the way. Once my eyes find the object, my mouthparts and I look up to see Char looking at me nervously.

"I think it's the right size for you," she says nervously. I take the jacket out and notice the warm up pants. My mom said she wouldn't get this for me. "I told Elizabeth and Nila that I'd get it for you."

"Char... This means so much to me," I stand to hug her. "I love this. I can't believe you got this."

"I've had this for months when you decided to commit to UCLA's lacrosse team."

"These are the perfect gifts in the world. Thank you."

"I have one more for you," she smiles sheepishly.

"Another? This is so much already."

"I know. Close your eyes Grier." I close my eyes and she makes me hold my hands out. I felt her step away from me and hear my closet door opening and closing. A moment later, something is in my hand and I am able to grasp it. "Open your eyes."

I look down and I gasp grasping the object more.

"Charlotte, holy shit. No way!"

"Shh!" She says covering my mouth. "Try not to wake your sister in the next room."