Understanding

Aquiver ~11

•Jacob Whitesides•

"You're saying you're now wanting to take someone?" Sandra asks right after our class council meeting. Everyone has left the library lab room except for Sandra, the president of the senior class council, Ethan who is the Vice President and me. I'm not sure how Ethan became Vice President.

"Yes. I would really appreciate if I can take her. I know I missed the deadline to turn in the form."

"Who are you trying to bring?" Ethan asks. I shift from one foot to the other. What I didn't mention to Char was that this would take persuading. Neither of them are fond of Charlotte and they make the decisions.

"Charlotte." Sandra looks up from the notes of today's meeting with her eyebrow raised.

"No," Ethan says.

"As in Charlotte Carpenter?"

"It's obvious. He doesn't know another Charlotte here." I glare at Ethan slightly.

"Isn't she going with Hayes?"

"Not anymore," I answer.

"Did he finally break up with her?" Ethan asks. I ignore him and turn my attention to Sandra.

"Sandra, please let me take her."

"I don't know. Three days before Ball. You're really cutting it close Jacob," she's says.

"She has never been to a dance before except for snowball and I want to make it special for her." Ethan rolls his eyes. "I wouldn't be asking if this wasn't important to me." Sandra looks into thought and goes through the council binder.

"You're lucky I like you Whitesides and I have a good heart," Sandra says after a minute and takes out the last ticket for Ball. She hands it over to me and I smile.

"Thank you Sandra."

"I hope she has a great time."

"She definitely will." I hold the ticket in my hand happy she's giving me the last physical ticket. Everyone has to have one in order to go.

"Go tell her the great news." Ethan stands from his seat to pick his bag up somewhat ticked off. I nod as the two of us make our way out.

"So did Hayes break up with her?"

"What do you think?"

"I don't know. That's why I'm actually asking you."

"Doesn't he tell you these things?" We walk out of the library and start to make our way towards homeroom.

"Actually no, because one he doesn't talk to me unless it's lacrosse related and two, he rarely talks about her unless it's something sweet she'd do for him. It's mostly lacrosse talk."

"Well, he broke up with her and I couldn't be anymore pissed at him for the way he has been treating her."

"That's... actually surprising. I know how much Char means to him so... this doesn't make any sense."

"You've been around the right Hayes?" I scruff.

"They're obviously a perfect couple, so yeah. I may not like her, but that doesn't mean I'd be completely dumb about their relationship. I know Hayes cares about her."

"Well... that isn't the case anymore," I frown. "Bet you're happy."

"I am," He smiles and I roll my eyes. 

"What do you even have against her? I really don't understand."

"Leave it Whitesides. Just go talk to your prom date." We are now approaching our homeroom and I smile as I look towards Chars usual spot. She sat there looking at one of her notes for something. I ignore Ethan and walk over to her.