Family and Friends

Aquiver ~15

•Charlotte Carpenter•

"I... I can go to the gym myself and stay there for awhile," I say quietly standing. Everyone at the table is judging me one way or the other right now and probably does not want to be with me at the moment.

"You need a ride home."

"I-I need air right now." Grayson only rolls his eyes. "I'll just go..." I turn around quickly and decide to sit out on the bench for a moment. I sat down and let out a shaky breath.

This was not exactly how I wanted it to go. I messed this up on myself and it's always my fault. I hear the entrance door immediately open and I look up to see Hayes. He looks around then his eyes land on me. He closes the door and slowly takes a seat next to me.

"Thank you," He says quietly.

"It's great to know you'll be fine. I hope you have a great time with your friends," I whisper quietly. I bring my hands to my face and start to cry feeling so fragile.

"Char, I didn't know you actually wanted to go."

"Y-You actually think this is just about Ball?" I sob into my hands. "This is about everything! I chose you over anything, because you believed in me when no one else did. Especially when my family wasn't  supporting me like you did. Then to know I lose you, because you actually made me feel like I was the problem to our relationship and you break up with me."

"I was trying to actually talk to you earlier," he says slowly.

"No shit, Hayes. You talked to me and I was upset with you. How exactly did you think I was going to react?" His eyes widens slightly.

"I'm an idiot Char. I didn't mean to break up with you." I pull away and give him a look.

"You already did."

"But I didn't mean to. This is exactly what I wanted to talk about."

"We are not getting back together."

"What? Char."

"You said so yourself that night. You weren't happy and you know I wasn't happy." He looks down and nods slightly feeling guilt.

"I'm sorry for treating you the way I did."

"Sorry isn't enough anymore," I say softly. I wipe my tears with my sweatshirt sleeve and look at the sidewalk. "I gave you one more chance when you asked to be with me. I'm not going to be so forgiving this time."

"I'm not proud of what I've done. I did turn into a jerk and I put all my anger and frustration out on you. It should have been my brother and not you. I wish I didn't make you feel the way you felt these last few months."

"You made me feel like I was worth nothing to you Hayes. You spent time with me, but you always missed the little things. Sitting in the same room with me while ignoring me on your phone or playing your game is not exactly spending time with me."

"I know."

"I understand that you wanted to be with your friends and do other things. If I would have known that Nash was forcing you to come home, I could have said something. I could have done something about that because you didn't have to be by my side every moment when I left the hospital."

"I'm really sorry."

"I lied in front of their faces. Now they hate me."

"They don't hate you and I shouldn't have told you to do that. I'm going to talk to them. This is my fault Char. Not yours. I'm going to fix this."

"You can't fix my heart or the memories Hayes," I say quietly. Hayes reaches for my hand and I gently pull away. Hurt is shown in his expression and eyes.

"I can make the future better. If you let me."

"I don't want to get back together."

"I understand," he says softly. "But I would like to take your other offer."

"What offer?" I ask confusingly.

"To still be your friend. I still want to be your friend even though I still love you. I want you to be happy."

"Y-You still love me?" He gives me a sad smile.

"Of course I do, but it's probably best that you find someone who loves you and would never do what I did to you."

"I'll think about it."

•Hayes Grier•

Jacob: Is she alright out there? I will haunt you if you're making her feel worse out there

I look towards Char to see her eyes are still puffy, but she's a lot calmer than before. She's sad and upset, but she's also mad at me. I can tell.

"Do you want me to get Jacob and Grayson? I can have them come out here."

"They probably don't want to see me right now."

"They are your friends, I'll talk to them." She only nods and crosses her arms and continues to look down. I stand and make my way inside to find everyone at the table. Nash is the first to see me and sighs.

"What Hayes?" He asks frustrated. Jacob and Grayson looks towards me with anger and a mixture of wanting to beat me up.

"I know I messed up."

"Again," Grayson points out. I glare at him.

"Yeah... It wasn't my intention for all of you to be mad at her. She doesn't deserve any of this and it's my fault. If anything is to blame or be angry with, it's me. Take it out on me. Not her."

"Can't really take it out on you," Nash sighs. "I just promised Char. You are a moron for messing up again. And you wonder why I didn't want you with her before when I found out."

"I know. Gray, Jacob?" They both look up at me. "She feels guilty. Please forgive her for this. It's me who you're mad at." Grayson nods and gets up to leave. Jacob gets up and I take his arm to stop him.

"What Hayes?" Jacob asks tiredly.

"If you and Char decide to ever get together. Please treat her well." He only nods before leaving. I take a seat and sigh.

"What made you think to treat her the way you did?" Cameron asks. I look down at my plate and take a bite into a few fries.

"I didn't mean to... Nash..." he looks up at me. "I just felt like you were forcing me and telling me to always be with Char. I was feeling like I was suffocating and didn't have any of my freedom. I loved it at first and I was fine with it but then you," I look at Nash. "...made me feel like I was obligated to be by her side twenty four seven. I was overwhelmed and felt that I was losing my sanity with my life. It was too much for me."

"I didn't realize," Nash says. "You do realize what that would be what it's like if you were a married couple."

"I don't think so... Nash, you don't even have a girlfriend you wouldn't know."

"Actually I'm seeing someone, but that isn't the point. I'm sorry if I made you do a lot of things. I thought you want to be there for her. I thought you'd want to be with her all the time."

"Lets not talk about it anymore," I sigh. "I'm not with her anymore and there's not much I can do."

"I'm sorry bro." I shrug and pick up my burger.

~

Next Update: Wednesday