Dolan Twins

Aquiver ~12

•Charlotte Carpenter•

I walk down the halls of the school trying to think of a place where to go. Feeling overwhelmed and shaky, I sat in front of my locker. I bring my knees towards me and hug myself. Not even three full periods I couldn't make it.

As time passed and I sat on the cold floor, I thought to myself how I shouldn't have reacted that way. I did though. It makes me frustrated that Hayes can be so cruel one day then talking to me the next. It doesn't make any sense to me. He can't do this to me.

"Charlotte." I bring my head away from my knees to see Grayson walking over to me worried. "Char, why are you sitting here?" He kneels down in front of me so we are eye level.

"I couldn't be in there with Hayes," I say quietly and look down at my hands. "Jacob was called to leave class and Hayes tried to talk to me."

"What did he say to you?"

"I didn't want to talk to him. I left the class feeling upset and overwhelmed. I don't understand him!" Grayson sits on the ground looking at me carefully.

"Maybe he made the mistake to break-up with you."

"I don't think so Gray. He said he wanted space from me and he told me so many things that hurts me all the time. I don't think it was a mistake." No tears, but I feel pain and acting like everything is fine is hard. I wish it was simple.

"Char..." he wraps an arm around me and takes both of my hands in his. "You're shaking..." I look towards my hands to see that I am. "Let's get you something to eat." He helps me to get up and he stands himself. He takes my bag and uses my locker combo to open my locker and puts my bag in there. He also takes the folder and carefully puts it at the top before he shuts my locker shut.

"Are we going to the cafe?" Grayson nods and has a hand on the small of my back as we slowly start to make our way out of the secluded hall and into the main halls. The halls are empty as I look into classrooms as we pass by. There's still fifteen more minutes left of third period. We make our way towards the stairwell and walk all the way to the main floor.

"Here we are," Grayson says as we both walk into the cafe. "Is there anything special that you want to eat?"

"I'm not sure" Grayson nods as he leads me over to the food. He takes a tray and immedietly takes everything that look delicious as food. As we are approaching the lunch lady at the cashier, Grayson grabs a bag of sun chips and an Ice cream sandwich.

"I can pa-"

"Nope, I'm paying," Grayson smiles and takes out a twenty. He thanks the lady for his change and we walk towards the table and chairs. It's not a lunch period. It's too early for one. It's just about empty in here and Grayson led me towards the big windows. We sat down and he has the tray infront of us. He takes his burger and I slowly reach for the ice cream sandwich.

"Thank you Gray."

"No problem Char. Eat up." I nod and start to unwrap the wrapper.

"What class were you in? Wouldn't your teacher notice that you haven't returned this whole time?"

"I'm fine. I was in physics and we weren't really doing anything. Mr.Nim's cool with me coming back to get my stuff at some point."

"Oh."

"Yeah, so I heard Jacob is taking you to ball now. Did I hear that right?" I smile slightly at the thought of Jacob. He has been so nice and caring to me. Jacob and Grayson has been by my side this whole time. "Don't you still have the slightest crush on Jacob?"

"Uh," I bite my lip and slowly eat my ice cream.

"You're going to ball, right?"

"No, I'm going to Charlotte with the boys for the weekend."

"I keep forgetting you're going," I half smile. "Hayes is going apparently."

"Are you serious? No, he shouldn't be going. That is so wrong."

"He wanted to go."

"Is that why he's not going to ball with you?"

"Part of it," I sigh. "Can we not talk about him? I... I want to cope through the breakup in a way I can get through a school day."

"Right, Im sorry. In other words, let's talk about... I'm not really sure. How about gymnastics? You're stopping by the gym after school."

"I was thinking about it," I half smile. "I'm just a little nervous."

"Nah, don't be. Gymnastics is your life."

"It used to be before I almost died," I say quietly. Grayson's eyes widen.

"Right, I'm sorry. I'm really saying all the wrong things today. Did you want some fries?" He gestures over to them and I nod slowly. Quietly, I reach for a few fries that he had put ketchup on and start to nibble on them.

"These fries aren't that bad." Grayson looks up from his phone towards me.

"You like the school fries, huh? Here, You can have the rest if you want."

"Thanks." He turns back to his phone and it seems like he is sending out quick texts before he puts his phone back into his pocket.

"I hope it's alright, Eth is going to bring my stuff down. He wanted to get food so he offered to take my stuff while he was at it. He already knows that I wasn't going to the bathroom."

"Okay." I shrug and look towards the fruits. Ethan still makes me miserable when he can. It's a lot easier now, but he has toned many of his actions down. We eat in silence the rest of the time and Ethan walks right in making his way over to the food section. "Do you want the rest of the fruits? I'm getting full."

"Sure." I hand the cup over to him and he takes a strawberry. "Thanks Char." I nod as someone approaches our table and I see Ethan coming with a tray in one hand and Grayson's bag in the other. He sits across and shoots me an annoyed look.

"You didn't tell me she was with you," Ethan starts.

"Be nice Eth." Ethan rolls his eyes and begins to eat. Grayson turns to me relaxed. "As I was saying, I really like strawberries. Thank you for saving them for me."

"I was debating whether I should have ate them or not," I answer with a friendly smile. Grayson chuckles.

"You're so nice Char. I can share with you."

"No, it's okay. I'm pretty full."

"You sure?"

"One hundred percent."

"Do you have conversations like these all the time?" Ethan interrupts and we both look towards him.

"Rude much?" I ask.

"You're annoying. I wasn't even asking you."

"Dude," Grayson gives him a look.

"What?"

"Apologize."

"You serious bro? You know that is never going to happen."

"I should probably get my things for the next period," I say softly and get up. I take the milkshake and take a sip as Ethan smiles and Grayson looks at me apologetically. "I'll see you in in a bit." Grayson nods and I walk around the table.

"Giving up so soon with any combacks?" I hear Ethan's chuckle. I turn towards him to see him standing and Grayson is there glaring at his brother. "Did Hayes break your heart? Poor you," he says in a voice that made me shiver. He starts to laugh and I became annoyed with Ethan that I didn't think twice with what I did next.

Everything happened so fast. The next time I blinked and open my eyes, I see Grayson shocked and Ethan with his eyes closed as the substance drips all over him now. I dumped the milkshake on him. I drop the cup and cover my mouth shocked.

~

I have so much planned ✍🏽

Next Update: Wednesday