A Day Away is Well Needed

Aquiver ~8

•Jacob Whitesides•

"Do you want to study?" I ask gently as I focus on the road. We left the apartment extra early just to avoid Hayes. Char, is mostly likely still in her heartbreak phase and she doesn't want to talk about the break up, she won't eat certain things and most importantly, she's sad.

"No thank you," She says quietly. Her head is leaned against the window as she plays with something she's holding.

"Do you want to stop by the cafe and grab something to eat?" She shakes her head and I sigh. What is something I could help soothe her pain? "Will you be okay to go to school today?"

"I'll be alright." I notice she is holding the locket Hayes has given her. This is the first time I've seen her have it off. It has always been around her neck ever since the incident. Cameron knows and I know it that Hayes is probably the only thing on her mind right now. This is breaking her and I decide to take her somewhere. I know exactly where to take her.

As we are approaching the school, I do not intend to turn into the student parking lot but to turn right instead. Char sits up confusingly and looks at me as I am making a right.

"We didn't turn into the parking lot."

"I know."

"Where are we going then?"

"Somewhere I know you'd love to spend your day at." She leans her head back against the window and doesn't say anything else, which reminds me. I should probably let Cameron, Grayson and Aaron know about this. I send out a quick texts.

~Three and a half hours later~

I put the car on park and look over to Charlotte who is fast asleep. I turn the engine off and look at my phone to see several text messages from the guys.

Cam: Okay... I called the school and told them you weren't going. Hope your plan works

Aaron: Is everything alright? Is my sister okay?

Gray: Awe, no invite? You two decide to skip and not take me? Hope you two have a great day off (:

I smile slightly as I respond to Aaron and decide I should wake Char up. I gently reach over and place my hand on her shoulder to shake slightly.

"Char," I say gently. I can't stand when someone is loud and you're forced out of your sleep roughly. Char is the same way. "Time to get up. We're here." She shudders slightly before she slowly sits up and looks around. She yawns and rubs her eyes at the same time. I'm sure she had a good nap.

She takes her seatbelt off and she looks around before her eyes lands on me. Then she looks at the place I've brought her to.

"Where are we?" She has never been here that I would know. Maybe she has. I wanted to save a time to take her here and this is the perfect time. There are small shops and stores surrounding us and most of all I have this nice day planned out.

"Welcome to my favorite outlet in North Carolina. Right by the beach too."

"We're in Carolina beach?" She asks with a hint of excitement. I nod and a small hopeful smile appears as she quickly gets out of the car. I smile knowing the almost four hour drive is worth what we're doing today. We're seniors, she has worked hard this year and this day off is well needed. This is the perfect day to be here also.

I take my keys out and get out of the car as well. She takes her wallet out and closes her bag after closing the door. I lock the door as we make our way over to the fountain.

"You drove all this way for us to miss school?"

"It's for you Char," I smile. "I drove the hours to spend the day with you. You really needed the day off. We both know if you went to school, it would have been bad."

"Jacob... you're the best," She hugs me once we reach the sidewalk. We stop and I return the gesture. "You're amazing, thank you." I smile to myself and continue to hug her. I lift her quickly and start to twirl her as she lets out a surprise squeal that soon turns into a laugh. I let her down onto her feet and she holds onto my shoulders for support to stand. I hold her by the waist.

"We're going to have something to eat since it's lunch time, then we can go shopping and hit the beach after. Sounds good?" She nods and I take take her hand as I lead her in the direction of the food court. We walk in a comfortable silence as we walk past to a few shops into an opening where the food court is.

•Charlotte Carpenter•

"Is there something you'd like to try in particular?" Jacob asks me. I look towards him to see him looking at me already and I glance down nervously thinking about the question.

"I was thinking of pasta."

"Like an alfredo or spaghetti type?"

"Yes." Jacob nods as we head over to the Italian place. Jacob orders for the both of us and I reach for my wallet when Jacob takes it out of my hand. "Hey..." he smiles as he puts my wallet in his back pocket and takes his out.

"I'm paying today," Jacob says and puts my hand down from my attempt to reach for his back pocket. He takes his credit card out and pays for our food. He takes the tray from the worker who was preparing our food. I thank the worker and we turn around to walk over to a spot to eat at.

"You can't pay for everything."

"I can if I want," he jokes slightly.

"But you're not, right?"

"Most of everything I will be paying for."

"No way," my eyes widen.

"Char... I have your wallet. I want to pay today. You just worry about having a fun time." I smile faintly. This is the nicest thing that has happened to me in a while.

"I owe you Jacob," I say feeling thankful. "This is the nicest thing that has happened to me in a long time."

"Hayes hasn't been taking you out?" He asks confusingly.

"Not since the winter formal." I take my fork and kept my eyes on the plate.

"That was five months ago. You're telling me he didn't take you out once since then?"

"Jacob..." I close my eyes. "I was a terrible girlfriend according to him."

"Are you serious?" I look up to see a mad Jacob texting on his phone.

"What are you doing?"

"Texting Hayes. What is his problem? You guys have been dating for how long? He is out of his mi-"

"Jacob..." I start.

"He is a moron. Why wou-"

"Jacob," I say slightly upset. "I still care about him."

"He-" He stops and looks at me. "Right. Shoot, I'm sorry Char."

"I wish he'd at least talk to me, I don't understand why he made me go through this trouble to only break up with me before Ball."

"He's not taking you to ball either?" I shake my head and sigh as I bring my hands to my face.

"I wanted to go and I thought he was planning  something for us," I say disappointedly. There's silence and I don't hear from Jacob.

~

I'm so excited to share the rest of this story with you guys 😍

Currently working towards the end of book and figuring some things out 🙄😋

We're longs away from the end from here. Don't worry

Next update: Wednesday