Thoughts When You're Alone

Aquiver ~2

•Charlotte Carpenter•

Flashback #1 ~October 5th

"Happy birthday beautiful," Hayes says gently to me and I look up from my phone to see Hayes holding his phone up. Cameron, Nash, Jacob, Grayson, Kayla, Zack and Shawn had gone somewhere to get something. My coach, Tess, and Eva had gone back to the hotel.

"Thank you," I say gently and reach for his hand feeling sad. Hayes takes my hand and takes notice of my expression.

"I'm sorry you have to spend your birthday like this. I know it's not even close to what you have wanted."

"I'm just glad I'm alive." I squeeze his hand and sigh. "I'm really happy you're here Hayes."

"I'm glad I made the right choice," He says and stands so he can come closer to me. He leans downwards towards me and places his lips on mine. He gently pulls away to make sure I don't move my neck. He looks at the brace I have on and gives me a sad smile. We hear the door open and I try my best to see the view of who was coming in.

"Happy-" Shawn starts.

"Birthday-" Nash sings.

"To you-" Cameron smiles. Everyone joins in and sings to me as I see Grayson walk in with a cookie cake and I am astonished to see seventeen candles lit. Zach and Kayla are holding presents. Everyone then surrounds my bed and I feel my heart melting at the sight of everyone singing to me. Hayes takes the cookie cake from Grayson and places it in front of me and I look at the writing on the cake

Happy 17th Char! We all love you and are very proud of you ~ the fam

I smile and laugh lightly knowing Nash probably suggested the signature for all of them. Nash breaks into a smile as they finish singing.

"Happy birthday to you," Hayes finishes and smiles as he sat at the edge of the bed. I look up at everyone and they give me a reassuring smile as tears welled up in my eyes. I break into tears because of how happy I am. They did this for me.

"Char? Don't cry," Grayson says worriedly. "We didn't mean to make you cry."

"Why are you crying?"Nash ask carefully and I couldn't help, but smile and wipe my eyes.

"I haven't had a celebration like this in years," I say breathlessly. "I'm so happy you guys did this for me and thank you for all being here with me three in the morning." Nash has an upset look, but smiles as he nods his head.

"You've been really brave Char," Cameron says. "I'm glad we could make you happy." I wish I could get up and hug each and one of them. They have no idea how heart warming this is to me. I've never celebrated with close friends in a really long time. This makes me incredibly happy and thankful. I look at Hayes and he looks into deep thought.

I reach for his hands and he refocuses.

"Make a wish Char," Hayes says gently. I thought about my wish for a moment before I close my eyes and blew out the candles.

~

"Char?" I refocus and look around at my surrounding. I realize we have stopped at a rest stop. I look up and see Jacob and my brother looking towards me, already out of the car.

"Sorry," I mumble and take my seat belt off. I make my way out of the vehicle and step out. I get out on  Aaron's side and they both closed their doors. "How long are we stopping for?"

"As long as you need," Aaron says. I nod and we make our way to the building. Jacob comes from the other side and we all walk in through the sliding doors. Nash and Cam must have already left for the bathroom. I turn and notice Aaron going one way and Jacob following. They must have found the men's room.