39 | Keeping Promise

"K-Ki Joon..."

One look from his dark, tattooed eyes, and I felt my whole body shivered. My hands trembled in fear as I slowly put it up in the air. Once again, the killer had taken control of the situation, and I felt helpless being under his mercy.

"Aw, you finally remember me." He tilted his head to the side, smirking wickedly down at me. "It's really annoying when back in New York you just walked past me as if I was just a piece of trash."

"W-what?" I choked out those words as I couldn't believe what I was hearing. He was just near my radius the entire time? Even in NYC and now in Seoul? At the thought of that, I felt my breathing constricted.

"Yeah, I went there to find your mother, but instead I found you, displayed on the Times Square billboards with that new boyfriend of yours." He laughed a little too loud in the eerie silence. My fingers turned into fists as I pressed them to the sides of my head. I despised his laugh the most. That laugh that had been haunting me for the past years. That laugh which made Taehyung look away from me four years ago.

Ki Joon must be talking about the Billboard night where Ray had kissed me openly on the red carpet and we were all over the news the next day.

"Just when I thought I'd left you dead in the middle of the ocean, you just came back with amnesia and lived with someone else's name. Kwon Mia, really?" He scoffed derisively, showing the line of his silvery teeth.

"If my memory serves me right, wasn't she your doppelganger? The one that got killed because of you? Why Jinhee? Was it not enough to be the cause of her death? You'd taken her place, her boyfriend, and now her name and family? Why do you have to make the poor girl suffer so much?"

At that time, I felt intimidated by him, but I didn't know why I felt the anger as well. I knew he was purposely trying to get on my nerves. Punching the guilty box inside my gut and seeing me withering in pain. Because apparently, he was borderline evil and torturing people happened to be his favorite thing to do.

I pressed on my trembling lips, repressing my emotions and shedding any ounce of fear that was left in me to face the devil.

"Why didn't you just kill me then back in New York? Why wait for now?"

Ki Joon looked at me with a raised brow and sneered, probably didn't expect of my boldness. "Where's the fun in that when your stupid brain can't remember anything, Jinhee? I need you to remember, only then it's fair to make you pay for what you've done."

Trembling with rage, I glared at him with tearful eyes. "You're a monster."

At this point, I was just too damn frustrated because Ki Joon seemed to always love ruining my plan. Four years ago, just when I'd managed to escape to find my mother, he'd caught me. And now, when I'd remembered all my memories, just when I thought I'd the littlest hope for the beautiful happy ending, he decided to ruin my life again.

"Oh stop, I know that." He dismissed my word with a wave of hand and flashed me a lopsided grin. "My dad raised me to be one."

"Where is my mother?"

"Aw, are we back to business already? I thought it'd be more fun if we could have a little catch-up session." A wide grin spread across his dark face as he ordered me to move to the living room with the motion of his gun. "You know, like reminiscing how brilliant I was to escape from your whole suicidal ploy."