16 | New Spring (承)

[ Seoul, Korea ]

I held onto the edge of the thin material, staring keenly at the picture as the symphonious sea was creating a wave murmur that favorably calmed the irregular heartbeats of mine.

In my hand, was a Polaroid photo of Taehyung and Jinhee. The breathtaking night city painted the background — similar to the last moment that I had spent with him. The lens flared, illuminating the soft effects of the reflected light on the romantic moment of Taehyung backhugging Jinhee, their cheeks kissing each other as they smiled happily at the camera.

A small smile tugged on my lips as the happiness from the picture felt too palpable, that it would sound ridiculous if I were to say I envied how the couple looked like they were so in love with each other. I slowly turned the picture around and read the message written by him.

'I still believe in us, Jinhee.'

I closed my eyes in sorrow and huffed out a heavy sigh, my heart gripped painfully at reading the message over and over again. When I couldn't handle the agonizing pain tugging in my stomach any longer, I shoved the picture in the pocket of my long white cardigan.

Leaning against the balcony of my family's villa, I looked up at the summer sky. The measureless drape of polestar-blue was laced with puffball-white, seagulls were squabbling together over the tranquil sea, and I managed out a smile to the peaceful nature surrounding me.

It feels good to be home.

It had been a week ever since I unroot myself from New York City. After what had happened with Ray, it took Jasper and me almost a week to put the sudden, yet necessary closure with the new people in NYC before we landed in Korea and had our respite in the Kwon Villa.

Lola was sad that I had to quit the job all of the sudden, but nevertheless, she wished me the best luck in my next job — which I was still clueless about. On the other hand, Esra had been wearing this long, ugly face whenever she saw me after she had learned about my departure.

I knew she was upset by the news, because it hadn't even been a month since we knew each other. There were still tons of things for us to do — to explore things together, to share and gossip about stuff, to have more sleepovers and have a best friend date, but because of my decision, we couldn't have the chance to accomplish all that.

Despite her sulking over the news, at the last day of me being in NYC, she rushed to the airport and instantly crushed me into a bear hug. She cried a river and designed my shirt with her pool of tears. Well, at least, she left me a farewell gift. I was grateful for that.

But she wasn't the only one that chase after me to the airport. Because another man who literally broke and shred my heart into little thousand pieces by bringing a random woman inside of his house, and attempting on raping me in his drunken state — appeared in the scene and tried to stop me from leaving too.

***

Flashback

"Mia, please listen to me..." Ray tried to approach me, but I quickly hid behind Jasper and held onto his shirt as a shield.

Because in all honesty, I still couldn't forget what happened on that night. Ray had hurt me, and I couldn't let him near me. The vivid recollection of his beast side made an indescribable pain began to shoot from within, drawing an intense wound from my head, to my chest, to my spine.