35 | The Truth Untold

Start from the beginning

A man sported in denim attire and black shades seemingly tried to enter this premise while checking something on his phone. If he's a client, he must have mistaken the date because it was the weekend and we were closed for business.

I trudged over to the entrance and pressed the access button on the sliding door, deciding to honor the guest who looked troubled by the situation. However, when I looked up at the said man, suddenly I couldn't seem to locate my voice box.

The unexpected guest that I thought looked unfamiliar, suddenly looked all-too-familiar as I stood this up-close and personal to him. For a short second, I was stricken by his clean and handsome fresh face as memories and emotions streaming like rivers meeting within me.

"R-Ray?" My voice shook as a lump formed in my throat. I looked at him in disbelief and stepped out of the building. "How...how in the world are you here?"

While I was in utter surprise, Ray, on the other hand, looked delighted as he ran towards me and engulfed me into a hug. He looked relieved and thrilled all the same time as a huge smile stamped on his handsome face that I hadn't seen for such a long time. It felt like I had forgotten how he looked like, and now that he suddenly appeared out of nowhere, it felt like he was just a stranger that I used to know.

"God, I'm glad I finally found you, Mia. It's so hard to find the exact address, I thought it's the wrong building because there was no one around yesterday–"

"Yesterday? You came here yesterday too?" I found myself disentangling from the hug as I was reminded of the very night Ray sexually assaulted me. But then, at that moment, I was more baffled to find his presence here. "Why are you here, Ray?"

"Mia, listen..." Ray made another step closer, but I flinched back and clutched my hands on my chest, putting my guard up higher than ever.

For a moment, he was surprised by my defensive stance that I heard a sigh coming from him. Then he removed his shades and looked at me, and I finally noticed how his eyes were heavy and frustrated. In other words, he looked outright drunk, yet again.

"Love, I'm sorry..." he pleaded softly, his grey eyes looking at me with a painful longing that could melt any woman's heart into a puddle, "I understand your anger. But please, just come back to me... You will only get hurt by staying here." He tried to reach out to me but I quickly dodged his advances.

"What part of 'I'm breaking up with you' don't you understand, Ray? I've made a decision to stay, and you've no say in this matter anymore," I said rather coldly, looking at him with a gaze that probably he wasn't familiar with because he winced a little.

Besides, I couldn't understand his last statement. It was almost preposterous that I mentally scoffed in disbelief. Because ironically there was no one else hurting me but him.

"Mia..."

"It's Jinhee," I corrected him, and for some reason, I felt proud of myself. "My name is Kim Jinhee."

I just found the need to reiterate so that Ray could digest this information in his intoxicated head. Finally, I wasn't confused about my very identity anymore. I was more sure than ever, and I hid a smile at this.

Ray scoffed and hung his head low. "That's it? You are throwing away the identity of Kwon Mia just because you are with Taehyung right now?"

I was taken aback when he mentioned Taehyung's name. But I quickly recovered and frowned as I didn't expect such reaction from him. It felt like he was ridiculing me. But then I was reminded by the fact that he wasn't sane, so I exhaled calmly and tried to handle this situation in a more civilized way.