15 | Painful Breakup

Start from the beginning

And being the girl who was always damn curious and getting screamed at, I slowly made my step towards the dining room in alarm. Grabbing a remote control near me, I felt my heart pounded so hard against my chest when I almost reached the dining room.

But when my eyes caught the scene unfolding before me, my heart plummeted so deep into my stomach that I wanted to vomit. Suddenly, I didn't know how to react as I just stood there in appall.

Even though the voice at the back of my mind told me to not make a sound and run away from there in an instant, but instead, I found myself turned numbed, as though I was anchored to the ground for no particular reason.

"R-Ray?" I choked out his name as my eyes glued on him, who had his fingers wrapped around his glass of brandy at the bar area.

Seating on my boyfriend's lap with one arm circling around his neck, was the familiar blonde model that I saw in the video call the other day.

Both of them slowly turned to look at me, both calm and unwavering when I made my entrance. The soft night light warmed the side of their faces. Ray was holding onto this emotionless face that I wasn't familiar with, while the blonde girl only dropped her head and chuckled.

She then stood up, leaning closer to Ray as she lit up the cigarette in between his lips. Ray just let her be as he watched her with bloodshot eyes. He looked downright hung over, and that also meant, he already had multiple shots along with the company of the curvaceous woman.

I clutched onto my aching chest when my vision started to darken at the traumatic sight of the fire. Almost instantly I looked away from them and held onto the edge of the dining table to support my trembling knees.

"It's time for me to go," She whispered and kissed his cheek goodbye. When she walked passed me, she flashed her sugary smile that had too much meaning in it before she walked out of the room in a breezy manner.

"Ray, what's the meaning of this?" I gathered myself hard and found myself approaching him who was busily smoking.

I was still surprised to find Ray in that state — totally wasted and smoking profusely — as if his life depended on the stick. The very last time I saw him smoking was two years ago when he knew I was traumatized by the trivial form of fire, and when he told me he wanted to build his future together with me.

I was trying to get a sense of his demeanor, his aura, his appeal. And he simply looked like he didn't bother about my existence anymore. Was Ray trying to hurt me? If yes, then it would be a really scarce fact to digest when he had been the first guy that would extend out his hand to protect me from any danger.

"Hey Cheryl, you look different..." He cupped my face with his other hand, still looking at me with hooded eyes, but his lips stretched into a lop-sided smirk.

I slapped his hand away and looked straight at him with a glare when I had confirmed that Ray was really trying to hurt me. "Obviously, because I'm not Cheryl. I'm Mia, your girlfriend, in case you forgot."

Ray let out a deep chuckle at my unamusing words and killed his smoke in the ash tray. Still sitting on the stool chair, he stared down at me, the intensity in his grey eyes somehow scared me a little.

"Mia, I miss you..." He breathed out and pulled me in around the waist, suddenly wanting to kiss me but I stopped him.

"Ray, I just saw you drinking and flirting with another girl. What are you even trying to do?" I confronted him, but deep down, I knew it was only a useless effort, knowing that Ray wasn't sober enough to face the confrontation.