There was a pause in the knocking, then I heard a thud as if he had pressed himself against the door. My eyes narrowed.

“I promise you John, you don’t want me shouting this through a door, unless you want the others to know our business…” he trailed off.

Our business. As always the kid was delusional. “Then tell me in the morning.”

“It’s freezing out here, can you just open the door so I can tell you, then I’ll be out of your hair, I promise.”

I think I could even sense that lie from a mile away. I turned my attention back to the ceiling, trying to recall my earlier thoughts. I couldn’t deal with Kyle tonight.

If it really was an inside job, to get that level of cooperation couldn’t have been easy unless you held some extraordinary power…which brought me back to the warden; but allowing an escape of this magnitude at your own prison had to be bad for his reputation so why would he have orchestrated this if in the end, it could quite possibly have led to his downfall. This whole thing wasn’t making any sense.

“I’ll stay out here and freeze until you open this door.”

So what if it wasn’t the warden, what if there was someone else, someone bigger pulling the strings…but it would all still lead to the same question; why allow the escape? what was the point of it all?

I heard another thud as if he had slid to the floor and I imagined him sitting on the freezing tiles with the back of his head resting on the door, waiting for me to open up.

“Go to bed Kyle, we’ll talk in the morning.”

No answer.

I gave it a few minutes but it was uncomfortably silent out there. “Kyle?”

Nothing.

With a curse I pushed up from the bed, throwing the sheets off me in annoyance. When I released the lock and pulled the door open, Kyle, who had indeed been resting against it fell in and I glared at him while he looked up at me from where he was sprawled on my floor.

“Say what you need to say and go.” I muttered, then watched as he scrambled to his feet and before I could blink, he had shot inside the room, grinning as he climbed up into my bed.

I really didn’t have the energy to fight with him. Not tonight with all these thoughts and feelings rolling around in my mind. With a glance out the hall, I pushed my door closed and dropped into the chair by the open closet door, my head propped in my hand as my mind drifted.

Kyle watched me with a pout.

“You okay?”

I glanced at him with raised brows. “Don’t I look okay?”

He shrugged. “You look kinda sad actually. Are you thinking about Eddie?” he asked, the concern sneaking into his expression.

“No I was thinking I need to get to sleep and you’re keeping me up.” I said to make a point but of course he couldn’t take a hint.

“I kinda miss him too. He was really nice wasn’t he?” he got this far away look in his eyes as he said the words. “I remember when he-”

“Stop talking about him like he’s dead” I growled in anger and he looked on at me in confusion.

“But Nate said-“

“Fuck what Nate said. There’s no way Eddie’s gone, he…” I trailed off when he smiled. And I shook my head and looked away. I needed to calm down and I needed him out.