Chapter Nineteen

Imani swallows her pride and knocks on Casey's dorm. She wants to apologize, even though she did nothing wrong. She just wants to be on good terms again. Imani plans to tell Casey she was right about Jai, and that she was a good friend for worrying about her. Imani hasn't talked to Jai since last night; he left her multiple calls and messages, but she didn't answer him because she doesn't want to speak to him right now. She wants to avoid him as much as she can right now, which some people may think is childish, but it's the only way for her to figure things out. Talking to Jai right now is not going to solve what's going on in her mind. She doesn't know if she wants to continue dating him, or if this will be the one thing that strangely makes their relationship stronger.

"What are you doing here?" Casey says as soon as she sees Imani when she opens the door.

"Um, I came to talk." Imani says quietly.

"About?" Casey raises her eyebrows. Imani knows that Casey knows what she is referring to, but Casey is difficult, so she is going to continue acting clueless, until Imani says something first.

"You know about what." Imani states. "So, are you going to be mature and talk about it, or do I need to go home?"

"You could go home." Casey shrugs her shoulders.

"Casey! Don't make my best friend go home!" Imani hears Teagan's pitchy voice from inside the dorm room.

"Oh, Teagan's here." Imani says. It kind of hurts that they're hanging out without her.

"Yeah, because that's what best friends do. They hang out." Casey smartly says.

"You know what?" Imani says, fed up with Casey's attitude. "I'll just go. I'm sorry I came here to try to squash things between us. It was a waste of time." She turns around and starts to walk down the hallway, but Casey stops her.

"Wait!" Casey calls. "Okay, you can come in."

Imani almost doesn't turn around, but she wants to forget about what happened between them. She wants nothing more than to talk for endless hours with her best friend. She also wants to get some advice about Jai, now that she knows Teagan is here too.

"Okay." Imani smiles small.

She enters the dorm room and walks over to the small couch to sit down. Teagan is on Casey's bed painting her fingernails and watching a movie on Casey's laptop.

"What brings you here?" Teagan wiggles her eyebrows.

"I came to apologize." Imani honestly says.

"I'm listening." Casey crosses her hands over her chest.

"I feel like you were being a good friend for worrying about me and Jai's relationship. You just didn't want to see me get hurt and you were just looking out for me. So, I'm sorry for being such a B about it." Imani says.

"Apology accepted." Casey nods her head.

"So, we're good?" Imani raises her eyebrows.

"Yeah, we're good." Casey smiles and plops down on her bed. "So, why did you say that like he hurt you or something? I thought everything was good in paradise since it took you this long to come and apologize to me."

"Well, we're official now." Imani says and her two best friends look surprised. "Except, I don't even know if I wanna be official anymore."

"Why?" Teagan furrows her eyebrows.

"He took me to meet his family and it was just horrible." Imani sighs.

She didn't want to tell them about his family because that is between him and her. They don't need to know that his father isn't in his life and his mother and him barely talk. They also don't need to know that his grandparents are dead and that his snob of an uncle is his legal guardian. No matter where she and Jai are in their relationship right now, she would never intentionally tell his business to get back at him.