Chapter Twenty-Four

"Aaliyah told me you wanted me." Imani says to her mother as soon as she enters the kitchen.

"Yeah, I need you to set the table unless you don't wanna eat." Her mother raises her eyebrows.

"Okay." Imani raises her hands in defense. She takes the clean plates that are on the island to the dining room. She sets them on the table and returns in the kitchen to grab the silverware and cups.

"You lucky I ain't tell mama about what you were doing in the basement." Aaliyah smirks, crossing her arms over her chest.

"What are you, eleven?" Imani scoffs. "Grow up. It's called kissing, something couples do."

"Chill out, stop getting so mad. I'm just playing with you." Aaliyah chuckles.

"Well, don't play with me." Imani shrugs her shoulders. She hates it more than anything when her siblings joke around with her. Sometimes it's funny and she feels like she is going to develop abs from laughing too hard. Other times it is absolutely annoying and she just wants to slap them upside the head.

"Dang, I was just playing." Aaliyah rolls her eyes.

Imani chooses to ignore her sister before they get into an argument. She doesn't really think an argument is a perfect way to welcome Jai to her family home. It is also not the way to start off Thanksgiving dinner. Jai doesn't get to spend Thanksgiving with his uncle because he is spending it with Imani in Texas. So, she wants to make this a perfect dinner for him—something he will never forget. Jai probably didn't realize that he would have to cancel having dinner with his uncle in order to fly out to Texas, but Imani doesn't think it bothers him that much. The two men will probably have a dinner as soon as Jai gets back. She doesn't know, she can actually care less. After the horrible experience Imani had with Alejandro, she definitely doesn't want to go back to his, ever.

Aaliyah realizes that Imani is not going to say anything back, so she exits the dining room. Imani sighs in content, knowing she has won the slight feud she and her sister just had. Sometimes being the bigger person is a better accomplishment than stooping to another person's level. Imani goes back to the basement to tell Jai to hurry upstairs because it is almost time for everyone to eat. She has to hold in her laughter when she sees Jai talking to himself—or maybe the wall because he is directly facing the wall. Jai jumps and quickly turns around with a sheepish look on his face.

"Um, what you doing?" Imani furrows her eyebrows. She tries to contain her laughter but a few giggles slip past her lips.

"Uhh." Jai drawls out. He really has no explanation as to why he was talking to the wall, except for the fact that he was practicing what to say to her family. He really doesn't want her to know that he is nervous. It doesn't help that he got caught talking to himself.

"Uhh, what?" She asks.

"You're weird." She says after he doesn't respond. "But I'm weird too, so it's all good."

"Do you think dinner is gonna go well?" He sighs.

"Are you for real? That's what been on your mind this whole time?" Imani says in a 'wow' tone. "I thought I told you that they were gonna like you—they already like you."

"Really? Because it doesn't seem like your dad likes me." He frowns. "He put me in the basement. I don't know about you but that definitely screams dislike."