Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Tonight is the traditional block party. It's something the university has around the month of October every year for the college students. Since Imani is a freshman, this is her first time going. It is a bunch of festival things, like music stands and carnival games. It takes place in the courtyard of the school. Imani is in her dorm room getting ready. She is wearing a long beige sweater, light blue jeans, a white V-neck, and beige Chelsea boots. She seems satisfied with her outfit. She takes a look in the mirror and huff at the hair on her head.

Now, I just have to tame the beast, she thinks to herself .

She braided her hair last night and the braid out turned out great. She needs to apply some moisturizer in her hair because it is a bit dry and she can't stand how dry it feels. It is one of the cons of having low porosity hair; her hair just eats up oil and other moisturizers.

"Nice outfit," Cara says from the other side of the room, "I would've chosen something black, but you look great."

Imani knows that the insult within the compliment is Cara's way of complimenting, so she just nods her head and says thank you. Cara is wearing black—go figure—everything. Her makeup is dark, her hair is dark, and her nails are also dark. The only thing light on her is her enticing blue eyes.

"Chad is coming over in a bit. I know the party doesn't start until another hour or so. We were going to go out to eat and hang out before, then. Do you maybe wanna come?" Cara asks.

Imani is surprised that Cara is asking her to join the two of them. She would agree, but she doesn't want to be a third wheel. There is nothing worse than joining a couple for an evening and being by yourself. It's a nice offer, but Imani thinks she'll pass.

"Is it just going to be me, you, and Chad?" Imani asks, running her hands through the mass of hair on her head.

"Oh, no, some of his friends are going. I thought to invite you because I never see you go out. It'll be fun." Cara shrugs her shoulders.

Wow, this is progress. It's the most we've talked—like ever.

Imani thinks that this can be the start of a newfound friendship. If she turns down the offer, they will go back to being how they were before. If she accepts the offer, they will probably become friends after living with each for a couple of months now.

"Alright, I'll go. Can I invite a couple of friends? I'm supposed to go to the party with them." Imani says.

"Yeah, sure. Chad will be here in about half an hour, think they can come over now and between then?"

"Yeah, lemme just ask them."

Imani sends a text to Casey and Teagan in their group message. Casey replies back immediately and says yes. Teagan sends a whole paragraph after about five minutes, saying how she has to make her a salad because she doesn't want to eat unhealthy food. Imani chuckles and shakes her head because Teagan never fails to make her laugh with all her health stuff.

"They'll be here in about fifteen minutes." Imani says, taking a seat on her bed. She's finished getting ready.

"Okay, cool." Cara nods her head.

Imani looks at her phone and notices the battery is on seventy-five percent; she plugs it into the charger because phone batteries die quickly and she needs it to be fully charged before she leaves.