22: Birthday Surprise

“What time is your flight?” I ask Luke as he shoves clothes into his bag.

“2AM,” he replies sighing. I start rocking Leah in my arms, we’re at the 5SOS house and that’s where I’ve been staying with him for the past few days. Tomorrow is my birthday and also the same day Luke is leaving.

“Do we even know where we’re going to live?” I ask and he shakes his head sitting on his bed.

“You could live here,” he suggests. I shrug, it’s not that I don’t want to live on my own, because I do, it’s just that, I’m still a new mom and honestly pretty scared to be alone and not know what to do if the babies cry and I can’t get them to calm down, I’d feel terrible for calling Liz, and Aria is obviously out of the question.

“You could try it for a few days, if you don’t like it then we can figure it out from there,” he suggests and I nod lightly.

“That could work,” I smile putting a bottle into Leah’s mouth. She opens her eyes revealing the blue eyes. I smile down at her, her little hands wrapping around the bottle as she sucks down the milk. Luke wraps his arms around my waist, his chin on my shoulder. His lips press lightly against my neck, the place my hicky once was, then pulls back, looking down at Leah.

“I love you,” he whispers.

“I love you too,” I say also looking down at Leah.

“She looks like you,” he says and I shrug

“Sort of, she has darker hair though,” I comment. He shifts and wraps his arms tighter around me

“It’ll lighten up, both of theirs will, they’ll have gorgeous brown eyes like you, beautiful blonde curly hair, they’ll look just like you,” he says twisting me around in his arms so that I’m facing him. Kathryn starts to cry, probably from hunger, Luke sighs walking over to her crib and grabbing the crying child cradling her in his arms.

“How old are they?” He asks

“Um two months and two weeks,” I answer and he smiles grabbing a bottle from the bag and walking out to the kitchen. He soon returns with a calmer Kathryn, a bottle in her mouth.

“Do you think we’ll ever have kids together?” I ask him sitting on the bed, my legs crossed. Leah lays on my legs the bottle between her little hands; she’s barely holding it by herself, although she wants to.

“If you want them,” he responds, giving me the answer he thinks I want.

“But do you?” I ask, this time looking up from Leah and looking at him, looking into his eyes, trying to see if this is what he wants or if  it’s just another thing he’s done to make me happy.

“I want them,” he responds smiling, but the smile doesn’t go farther than his mouth, not extending to a bright smile in his eyes. His eyes stay worried, dull almost.

---

11:00PM

2:00AM

4:00AM

6:00AM

8:00Am

All the times the girls wake up, only I wake from their cries, Luke lies sleeping next to me. I get up feed them, 5 times every 2 hours, and then put them back to bed and sleep for another two hours until the cycle repeats. It’s not that I really care if he wakes up, it’d just be more helpful, but oh well. It’s now 9AM on my birthday. The girls are lying down on a blanket on their tummies. They’re able to lift their heads up now, not much but better than they used to be able to.