17: Baby Pictures

“Ella? Luke’s girl Ella?” The woman asks and I nod slowly.

“I-I’m sorry, I-I’ll just leave, I’m sorry for bothering you, Mrs. Hemmings,” I say turning around.

“Ella, darling, don’t be silly, come back here. I can tell you’ve been crying, what’s going on, darling?” She says inviting me in. I step in and set the girls on the floor.

“I got kicked out of my house, and I called L-Luke, and he said to come here, i-if you don’t want me here, I understand,” I say quietly and she shakes her head.

“No, no, you can stay here, I’m really sorry about what happened. Are these the girls?” She asks with a smile pointing to Kathryn and Leah.

“Yeah, this is Kathryn Elizabeth Ava and this is Leah Rae,” I tell her and she smiles.

“They’re beautiful, may I hold them?” She asks

“Of course, Mrs. Hemmings,” I already like her. She’s very nice. She squats down and slowly unbuckles Kathryn and carefully picks her up, cradling her in her arms. Leah starts to whine so I unbuckle her and pick her up.

“You know, Ella, you can call me Liz,” she smiles and I nod.

“Okay, Liz, you know I’ll leave whenever you need me to, I just don’t have anywhere to go at the moment and Luke made me promise to come here,” I sigh and look down at Leah.

“Luke always had cared an awful lot about his girlfriends,” Liz says and I smile, “You know, when he left you he cried for hours on end,” she says shaking her head, “It was the worst I’ve ever seen him, I was terrified for him,” she says.

“He came here?” I ask and she nods, “I thought he would’ve gone to the boys’ house,” I say.

“He did, well, try to. I told him it was probably best if he came here, I figured you were good friends with the rest of the boys and I didn’t think it would be right if you went over and he was there,” she says, “Plus, I really rather prefer him at home. I know they’re like brothers, but he’s still a minor, and is still my baby boy,” she smiles probably thinking of Luke.

“I understand,” I smile. We stand in silence, holding the girls for a few minutes before someone walks in, his hair greying, and it’s obvious its Luke’s dad. They look so much alike.

“Who was at the door, honey? Oh, who’s this?” He asks motioning to me.

“Hi, Mr. Hemmings, I’m Ella,” I say politely, “And this is Kathryn, and this is Leah,” I say pointing to each of them

“Oh, you’re Ella,” he says. I feel my tummy do flips from nervousness. “It’s nice to finally meet you,” he says politely and reaching out to shake my hand. I shift Leah just enough to shake his hand.

“You too, Mr. Hemmings,” I smile again taking back my hand.

“Andrew, will you excuse us?” Liz asks politely, Mr. Hemmings excuses himself and walks in the living room.

“Join me at the table, Ella,” Liz says. I sit down as she sits across from me.

“You’re taking care of my baby aren’t you?” She asks. I nod.

“Yes, of course, Liz,” I say politely and she nods.

“He loves you, you know. I’ve never seen him care so deeply for a girl. It’s quite remarkable really,” she pauses and rocks Kathryn, “I just, I’m scared you’re not good for him,” she says as politely as she can. I gasp, taken back from her comment. Not good for him?

“How so?”

“Well, you’re a mother, a young one, which isn’t a bad thing. It’s just Luke is only 17, dear; he shouldn’t have to take on the responsibility of being a father so young unless he was a part of their making, which he wouldn’t be. I’m just worried that this type of relationship isn’t good for him,”

“I understand your concern, Liz, I really do, but I just want you to know that I gave him many, many chances to leave. When he found out I was pregnant, we were just starting. I told him that it would be a huge burden that I didn’t want to thrust upon him. I continually made leaving an option and he never wanted to. I’m so grateful he didn’t’ though, but if he ever decided it was too much for him, I’d let him leave,” I explain and she nods.

“Well, I’m glad you made that an option, but I’ve also spoken to him,” she smiles, “I’ve told him that this is an awful lot for him to take in so suddenly, and he’s my baby, I don’t want him to be a father so young, but it’s ultimately his decision,” she sighs, “I just hope he made the right one,”

“I’m sure he did, he’s a great father,” I smile and think of all the times he’s played with the girls, and the times he’d just lay them down and talk to them for hours on end. “He’s the best father I could ever imagine for my children,”

“Well, I’m glad, now shall I show you to your room?” She asks and I nod

“I really don’t need a room, Liz, I can sleep in the living room,” I say and she shakes her head

“Don’t be silly! You can sleep in Luke’s room, if you’d like. He has a crib in there from when he was a baby. It was put there just in case,” she says leading me down a hallway, pictures of the three boys on the walls, along with younger pictures of Liz and Andrew.

“Is this Luke?” I ask stopping in front of one particular picture. It was a young blonde boy; he was smiling widely, with a big ‘5’ in front of him. It was this boys 5th birthday pictures. He was wearing a white shirt and blue jeans.

“Yes, it was his 5th birthday,” She smiles

“He’s so little and cute,” I smile along with her, while looking at the younger Luke. So childish and innocent

“Here are Ben, Jack and Luke,” she points to another picture. We walk down the hallway and she points out various photos over the years. From birth to graduations and everything in between they were all there.

“And here is your bedroom,” she smiles opening the door.

“Thank you so much Liz, you have no idea how helpful this is,” I smile

“It’s really no big deal, if Luke loves you, we love you,” she smiles. I thank her again and we set the girls down in the crib by Luke’s bed. His walls painted a light blue with green stripes. A bookshelf with childhood trophies rests against the wall along with a telly a few inches above it.

In about a half an hour, I’ve settled into Luke’s bed, his cologne engulfing me, I lie comfortably in one of his old tee shirts and boxers, because apparently in the rush of getting out of the house I forgot to pack pajamas. I lay my head on the pillow, and wrap my arm under it, resting my head on my hand. I feel something lying under the pillow. Out of curiosity, I grab it, using the flashlight on my phone I pull the box out from under the pillow opening it, not expecting what I just found. I run my fingers along the diamond that rests in the middle of the band. On the top of the box it says, ‘To the love of my life, the one I can’t live without, I make this promise to you’

A ring for what?

(A/N)

Hey guys! So I hope you liked this chapter, excuse the crappy ending :( I'm sick bleh I hate being sick, and I have practice tomorrow which makes it worse.

Whatevsss

I LOVE YOU GUYS!:) xx <3

xx _DatWriterChick xx