Thirteen

V I C T Ø R I A
When we got back, I immediately went to my room and dug through the stuff I had left from my childhood, which included a book of photos.

I skimmed the photos, passing ones of my parents and me, me in soccer, and gymnastics, and then I found the ones of me in dance.

I was a tall kid. I always ended up in the back row because of my height, but I was still one of the best dancers.

I genuinely missed doing dance once I was put into the system.

Someone knocked on my door and I went to open it, leaving the book on my desk. Jenna was standing there with a smile.

"Hi, Tori! Can I come in?" I moved out of the way and she sat on the edge of my bed while I turned my chair around to face her.

"I was wondering if sometime in these next few days if I could take you out? We can go shopping, get something to eat, get to know each other?" It all sounded nice but too nice for what I was used to.

"umm, maybe. Sounds fun." She smiled and stood up. I turned my chair back around and moved the photobook to the side while I pulled my homework out.

"What's this?" She lifted up the book and glanced down at me.

"Photobook from my childhood. It's one of the only things I have left from before I was put into the system."

She flipped the pages, taking a moment to look at each photo. "You did a lot of activities. Which one was your favorite?" I smiled to myself; a sad smile.

"Dance. It's the only one I truly miss doing. It was just so fun and challenged me." She set the book down and I closed it.

"Would you want to dance again?" I shrugged and dug in my bag for some pens and pencils.

"I don't know. I just don't want to add onto the schedule and include another thing Josh has to drop me off and pick me up from."

Jenna rubbed my back and opened my door. "If you're really missing it, I think you should go for it." She left my room and I got started on my homework.