Sixteen

V I C T Ø R I A
Over the weekend, when I wasn't in my room doing homework, I was in the basement, practicing the stretches I learned years ago.

I had to find some online that I didn't know, but I learned them quickly.

It was Sunday evening and I couldn't sleep, so I was in the basement practicing stretches.

I heard footsteps and looked over at the stairs to see Josh coming down, his hair sticking up everywhere.

"Tori, it's almost three in the morning. Why are you still up?" I instantly stopped and grabbed my phone to confirm the time.

"Oh, I didn't realize how late it got. I'm sorry." Josh sighed and rubbed his face. "Alright. Hey, come upstairs and put on your shoes. We're going on an adventure."

What?

I didn't argue and I followed him upstairs, throwing my shoes on and following him to the garage where his truck was parked.

I don't understand why he didn't park his car in here, too.

The drive was about fifteen minutes. We ended up at an overlook where you could see the city, but you could also see the stars.

"This is so pretty! Have you been here before?" He nodded as we got out and went to sit in the bed of the truck.

"A couple of times." I hopped up and sat on the edge and watched Josh struggle getting in. "With Tyler?" He shook his head.

"No, uhh, with my ex-girlfriend, Debby." Now I can match a name to a face.

"Is she the one you have pictures of in your room?" He stopped attempting to climb into the bed and shot me a look.

"When were you in my bedroom?" I shrugged and looked at my legs. "When you first brought me home. I explored the house. I recognized her."

He nodded and finally climbed up. We sat there for a little bit. "Debby starred in a couple of shows and movies on Disney channel a few years ago. Jessie ended last fall."

I remembered watching Suite Life On Deck a few times in one of the foster homes I was in.

"When did you break up?" He took a deep breath and looked up. Maybe I shouldn't have asked that.

"Last summer. We just had some complications and decided to at least take a break," he didn't seem too bothered by my question, but I still felt bad asking.

"And since you asked me about relationships. I get to ask what's going on with that kid you were talking to when I picked you up from school."

I rolled my eyes and smiled. "His name is Max. We have three classes together." He smirked slightly.

"Do you like him?" I groaned and pushed his shoulder, making him laugh. "Josh!" He continued to laugh.

"Hey, you never said no!" I started laughing softly.

We star gazed for ten minutes until Josh spoke again, "can I ask you a personal question?" I made a mental check to make sure my arms weren't exposed at any time this evening.

I nodded and he looked at me. "Why don't you eat?" I felt my face heat up and I looked down at my legs again.

"It started in the second foster home I was put in. They assumed they'd save money by not having to feed another mouth, so they would never feed me. I ended up being hospitalized and had to have a feeding tube.

"It happened again in the last foster home I was in, and once I was discharged, I was sent to the 'group home' where they had the worst food to date. I just ended up creating a habit of avoiding food. I guess habits don't die."

Josh nodded after a moment. "But you can replace them with new habits. I want you to try to eat again. You can start small, but I just don't want you to end up in the hospital again," I agreed.

"That's why I've been having you eat breakfast." I brushed my hair out of my face and smiled.

"It's hard to admit, but when Jenna first made breakfast and I ate that bacon, it was the best thing I ever tasted. I wanted to eat the entire plate." Josh laughed and nodded.

"She's an amazing cook. And I can promise I'm half as good as her. Do you ever eat lunch at school?" I nodded.

"The couple times I sat with people at school I did. The school food isn't any better than the food at the group home." He pursed his lips for a moment.

"Would you want me to make you a lunch to take to school?" I shook my head and looked down. "No, I'll be okay for now."

He nodded and then asked me another question, "so when did you get into our music?" I had to think back for a minute.

"In the fourth foster home I was in, the parents had a daughter who was fifteen or sixteen. She loved your guys' music and Panic! At The Disco. That pop-punk type. She showed me your music and I instantly fell in love."

He smiled. "Which song is your favorite?" That was a tough one.

"Probably Taxi Cab and Kitchen Sink. I can do Zack's rap in it." His eyes widened. "Really?" I nodded. "Show me."

I dug my phone out of my sweatpants pocket and looked up the song, trying to find the rap part. When I finished, Josh was quite impressed.

"Wow! How long did that take to learn?" I laughed, "two months."

We were quiet for a while until I leaned into his shoulder and he wrapped an arm around me. "Hey, Josh?"

I looked up at him and he looked at me. "Thanks. For everything." He smiled and pulled me into a tight hug.