Nineteen

V I C T Ø R I A
Friday morning came quickly and I was being dropped off at school before Josh took Jenna and Tyler to the airport.

"I'm sure we'll see you at Thanksgiving and Christmas!" Jenna gave me a tight hug and I smiled. Tyler gave me a hug and then we shared a fist bump.

"See you soon, kid." He got back into the car.

"Am I picking you up or are you getting a ride to your friend's house?" Josh asked me.

"It doesn't start until seven so you can pick me up." He nodded and got into the car.

The three of them left and I went inside, seeing Max standing by the door. He walked alongside me down the halls to my locker.

"Did I see Jenna and Tyler?" Max overheard me tell Tony my last name and that Josh adopted me. I also found out he was a fan of Twenty One Pilots.

"Yeah, they were visiting. Josh is taking them to the airport." He nodded and I grabbed the correct books.

He walked me to my class and I waved to him. Lily was sitting in the front row and rolled her eyes as I passed her.

"Let me know if you need to be picked up." Josh was dropping me off at Joey's, where the movie night was.

"Okay, thank you." I gave him a quick hug and got out, walking up to the front door. Joey answered and let me in.

"Thanks for coming! Everyone's in the living room." I followed him to where everyone was and he told us that pizza was on the way.

I noticed Ryan was by himself. "Where's Lily?" Ruby shot me a look, surprised I even asked.

"She won't be here for an hour. Her dad was on her ass about getting homework and chores done first." He took a sip of his soda.

I sat on the floor next to Tony and Ruby while they were having a conversation with Ethan.

Ethan had large glasses and curly hair, but he was a nice-looking guy.

"Hey, let's play truth or dare!" Allison piped up, getting everyone's attention. Ruby immediately frowned.

"Hell no! The last time we played, Lily dared Joey to shave my head!" She put her hands on her head.

"Is Lily here?" Mutters and murmurs of, 'no' were passed around and we saw her point.

Allison started with Tony, "truth or dare?" He took a sip from his water bottle and set it down. "Dare."

Allison grinned and dared him to jump into Joey's pool fully clothed.

And of course, he did it.

Most of the kids picked truth and answered some lame questions, but when Ryan picked me, I chose dare.

"I dare you to call your dad and tell him you're pregnant." I spit my soda out, getting it on Joey who was getting up to answer the door. "Sorry! Why on earth would I do that, he would kill me."

Tony told him off for that and Ruby poked me. "Hey, do you have Instagram? I've been trying to find you on there this whole time."

She handed me her phone and I typed in my username, letting her follow me.

The guys were still arguing over the dare until Ruby gasped, getting all of our attention. "You're followed by Twenty One Pilots?!" I grew pale and glanced over at Tony.

"Guess who's here!" Lily walked in, but everyone was too busy asking me about the following.

"How do you know them?" I stuttered, trying to think of an answer. Tell them the truth or make this worse?

"Josh is the one who adopted her," Tony confessed on my behalf. "She didn't want to tell you because she knew you guys would hound her with questions."

Everyone shut up and apologized.

"Oh, hey Lily." Ryan finally acknowledged his girlfriend and gave her a hug. We all wandered towards the kitchen for pizza, but Lily yanked me back into the living room.

"Why the hell are you here?! You don't belong here! Stop trying to weasel your way into MY friend group and get lost!" I staggered back, processing everything she just said to me.

"Oh, and while you're at it, just kill yourself, too. You don't belong in the friend group, you don't belong in our school, you don't belong anywhere." She shoved me out of the way and went into the kitchen.

Tears pricked my eyes and I made my way through the small crowd, walking over to Tony. "Can you please take me home?"

I was worried that if I spoke any louder than a whisper, I'd burst out crying. "Are you sure? We're just about to start the movie."

"Please- just take me home." He set his plate down and went to the living room to grab his keys. He told Joey he'd be back and I followed Tony out to his car, telling him my address.

The drive was quiet. I stared out the window, trying to not let Lily's words consume my thoughts.

For someone who looks pretty, she's got the ugliest personality.

Tony grabbed my wrist before I got out. "Hey, have a good weekend. I'll see you Monday." He softly smiled and I scurried inside, slamming the front door shut.

Tears were rolling down my cheeks and I was just a few moments away from full-on sobbing.

"Tori, is that you?" Josh called for me, but I ignored him running up to my room. "Tori!" I slammed my door shut and a sob broke out.

After sticking my chair under my doorknob, I searched my drawers to find my bag. Josh knocked on my door.

"Tori, are you okay?" He tried to get into my room, but the chair was keeping him out. "Please let me in."

I ignored him and searched all of my drawers, moving to my closet where my suitcase was.

My door burst open and Josh ripped the bag from my hands, keeping it out of my reach. "NO! Just let me do it!" I sobbed.

"Tori, stop!" Josh spoke in a tone I hadn't heard before. It was serious with disappointment.

He threw the bag onto my bed and when I lunged for it, he pulled me back, pulling me into his lap and wrapping his arms around me.

"I can't do it anymore!" I sobbed into his shoulder and he moved his arms to hug me, shushing me and rubbing my back.

"Yes, you can. You are a strong and beautiful woman, and you do NOT need to be doing this to yourself,"

He moved me and pulled up my hoodie sleeve, exposing the years of self-hatred, anger, and guilt scattered across my arm.

"You don't deserve any of this, no matter what." I started crying again and he pulled me close to his chest.