Nine

J Ø S H U A
The drive to LAX was longer than I expected, but Jenna and Tyler were already waiting for me by the time I parked the car.

I got out to help Tyler put the bags in the trunk and greeted both of them with a hug.

Tyler sat in the front while Jenna took the backseat.

"Where's Tori?" Jenna spoke up as we left the airport.

Tyler glanced into the backseat and asked me the same thing.

"I left her at home. I figured she would rather have time to herself before a full house." I blew out a breath of air as I made a turn.

"Are you okay?" Tyler touched my shoulder.

"I don't know, I feel like this whole situation is more difficult than I anticipated. It feels like every time I try to make things good for Tori, she closes herself off and it's back to square one." I hadn't opened up about the situation to anyone.

"Josh, I told you that you need to give her time. I'm sure when she's ready, she'll open up to you." I smiled at Tyler and his advice.

"Thanks, Bud, I needed that." The rest of the drive was quiet other than Jenna mentioning how excited she was to meet Tori.

We finally arrived home and all three of us brought in the bags, setting them by the stairs.

"Tori? Come down, I have people for you to meet." I called for her until she walked in from the dining room.

"Tori, this is Jenna and Tyler." Jenna shoved me out of the way and instantly hugged Tori, making her tense up.

She took a moment to realize what was happening and relaxed, wrapping her arms around Jenna.

Tyler smiled at her, and Tori returned it.

It was one of the few times I'd seen her smile.

"So now that we're here, let's discuss supper. Jenna, Tyler, is there somewhere specific you were wanting? We could also order takeout if you're too tired." The two shared a look and Jenna shrugged.

"I'm okay with whatever you and Tori want." Tori pursed her lips and pulled at her sleeve.

"I'm not that hungry, and I should finish my homework." I shot her a look.

"You have homework on the first day of school?" She nodded and scurried off.

Tyler pulled me away from Jenna and spoke in a hushed tone.

"Does she do that a lot?" I was confused as to what exactly he was referring to.

"Do what?"

He glanced towards the dining room where Tori was packing her stuff into her bag and then leaving to go up to her room.

"Avoid meals like that." I shrugged, not really thinking about it.

"I guess, I haven't noticed it." I took a moment to look back and realized she avoided eating a lot.
Great.

"I'm just concerned because I used to do that. Come up with little excuses so I didn't have to eat." Tyler watched as I yanked my hat off and ran my fingers through my hair.

"I just, this is all so stressful. I've been so busy trying to prepare for her to go to school and then your visit, that I can't believe it was happening right under my nose. What on earth am I supposed to do?"

Jenna walked over to join the conversation, "what's going on?"

Tyler looked back at me. "Don't approach her about it immediately. Find a time when you're both not busy."

Tyler changed the subject to supper and I went to bring their stuff upstairs.