Thirty-twø

J Ø S H U A
When I woke up the next morning, Tori was still fast asleep.

She was hugging her pillow tightly.

I chuckled and went downstairs to the kitchen, where I could smell pancakes and bacon. Mom was making breakfast.

Her back was turned, so I grabbed a piece of bacon from the plate as she turned around and caught me.

"Joshua!" She scolded me. "That's for when everyone else is awake!" I bit into the piece and she huffed.

I leaned against the fridge and watched her make more pancakes. "Are we the only ones awake?" She asked me.

"Tori was still asleep and Abby and Jordan's doors were shut as I walked by." She nudged me out of the way and grabbed fruit from the fridge.

"Tori is such a sweet girl. I'm proud of you for raising her right these past few months." She set the fruit down and gave me a hug.

Jordan walked in and took a piece of bacon as I did, and Mom also caught him. "Jordan! I've raised you boys to be patient!"

She was scolding Jordan and I spotted Tori walking in, frowning. I instantly straightened myself and walked over to her.

She showed me her phone and on it was a post from Alt Press.

A picture of Tyler, Jenna, Tori, and me leaving Taco Bell and the caption was describing Tori as a mystery girl.

"What do we do?" Tori asked as I handed her her phone back. I ran my fingers through my hair and blew out a rush of air.

"I'm not sure. I don't want to say anything just yet," Tori nodded and sat down at the table. "However, I don't know if we can do the things we wanted to unless you want more situations to happen like yesterday."

She stood up instantly. "No! You promised me you'd show me Columbus!" I was about to argue, but Mom stepped in.

"Josh, she clearly wants to sightsee. Can't you just say she's a relative and come up with an excuse to leave?" Tori agreed with her.

I sighed. Tori was so fixed on seeing the city I grew up in. "I just don't want you to feel uncomfortable with strangers coming up to us because of who I am."

Tori hugged me and I relaxed. "I'll be okay. I'm gonna have to get used to it eventually." She's such a great kid.

I looked over and Mom was smiling at us.

Jordan was standing behind her, eating more bacon.

Abigail and Dad eventually came in and we were able to eat breakfast before Dad left to go pick up Ashley.