Thirty-five

V I C T Ø R I A
Josh was standing in my doorway when I woke up, holding my doorknob.

"Hey, sleepyhead." I sat up and stretched my arms. My head still hurt, but I wasn't cold and I didn't feel as gross as I did earlier.

"You have a couple of guests downstairs." I grabbed a throw blanket and Josh helped me downstairs. I saw Debby sitting on the couch and I smiled, waving at her.

"Hey, girlie! You must be feeling better." I nodded and someone grabbed me behind, making me shriek.

Josh was standing in front of me, so I knew it wasn't him.

I turned around and there was Max with a grin.

I gasped and hugged him, making Josh and Debby laugh. I felt my face heat up and buried it into my blanket as soon as I pulled away.

"He showed up and asked if you were awake and was lucky enough that you woke up right after he arrived." I smiled and Debby moved over to the couch so I could sit.

"I figured the four of us could do something since Debby and I aren't going to the party." I shot up and looked at Josh.

"What? That's the only reason we came back early! You should go." Josh pursed his lips together.

"I just didn't want to leave you for that long if you're still sick. I'd hate for you to be by yourself." I motioned to Max.

"He can stay with me!" Josh took a moment to think and then brought Max into the kitchen, leaving Debby and me for several minutes.

"He seems like a sweet guy." I nodded and leaned back. The two returned and Max sat down next to me.

"Okay, I guess we're going to the party. If anything happens, I need to be called and we'll come straight home." I nodded and Josh went upstairs to change.

Debby left so she could change, and Josh went to pick her up afterward. "Have fun, kiddo. Love you." Josh kissed the top of my head and left.

I loved that he was really becoming a father to me and less of a brother.

I shut the door and turned around to see Max standing up. "So, I'm hungry. Are you?" I nodded. I wasn't sure if I could keep anything down, but my stomach was growling.

"I can eat." He pulled his phone out and went into the kitchen. My assumption was that he was ordering pizza.

I ran upstairs to my room to find the gift I got for Max.

"Tori? Where did you go?" I went back downstairs and handed it to Max. He looked at it and shot me a look of confusion.

"It's a Christmas present. I figured I should get you something since you got me something." He smiled and set the gift on the stairs behind me.

"Tori, you didn't have to get me a gift. I just wanted an answer." Now it was my turn to be confused.

"Answer? I said I liked it, didn't I?" I could've sworn I sent him a text saying I liked it. He ran his fingers through his hair.

"That's," he paused and picked up the gift again. "You did." He smiled and opened it, pulling out a football jersey.

"A Panhandles jersey?" I grinned. "Look at the back." He turned it around and his jaw dropped.

"Is that my name and number on it?!" I smiled and he picked me up, hugging me tightly.

"Josh knows a guy, so we were able to get it customized for you." He looked at it and set it on the stair rail.

His phone rang and he went into the kitchen to answer it.

I sat on the couch until the doorbell rang and I went to answer the door. "Max, the pizza's here!" He walked back in.

"Yeah, talk to you later, Mikayla. Okay, bye." He hung up and paid the pizza guy, handing me the box.

We sat on the couch and looked through my Netflix, Max putting on Stranger Things. I hadn't watched the show yet, but Ethan was telling me how good it was.

"Is this okay?" I nodded and reached for a slice of pizza. He got half cheese-half pepperoni.

We got through three and a half episodes when Max paused the show and looked at me, "Happy new year, Tori." I checked my phone.

It was midnight.

"Happy new year, Max." I smiled and we resumed the show, me resting my head on his shoulder.