Twenty-three

V I C T Ø R I A
Today was game day.

Ruby and I were paying for our tickets and went to the bleachers.

"Thanks for coming with me. I appreciate it." She nodded and smiled. "Better than sitting at home and sulking."

I rolled my eyes as we sat down. "I still can't believe Tony didn't ask you to the dance. We could've had so much fun getting ready together."

She nodded and Max walked over, clad in his football gear. "Hey, I want you to wear this." He handed me something and I held it up to see it was a jersey with his last name and number.

"Don't you need to wear this tonight?" I pulled it down and he shot me a look, pointing at the one he was wearing.

I turned red and he laughed. "Thanks for coming tonight. I'm glad you're here." He waved to Ruby and went back down to where the team was stretching.

I recognized a few of the stretches from dance.

"You know he likes you, right?" I looked at Ruby and laughed. "Yeah, right. He asked me to the dance because he knew I'd stay at home."

She opened her mouth to say something but closed it.

The game soon started and while I had no clue what was happening, I cheered whenever everyone else in the bleachers cheered.

"Do you understand what's happening?" I asked Ruby. She shook her head and we laughed.

During halftime, Ruby and I went to concessions to pick out some stuff to eat.

"I'm gonna get a soft pretzel," Ruby ordered her items. I've never had a soft pretzel before, so I ordered that along with a soda.

"These are to die for, right?" Ruby took a large bite out of hers. I looked at mine and sheepishly smiled.

"I've never had one of these before," I admitted, and Ruby looked at me like I had a second head growing out of me.

She pulled out her phone and recorded me taking my first bite.

It was like I was eating heaven.

I practically inhaled the rest of my pretzel before we went back to the seats.

The game started back up and once again, I was confused and cheered when everyone else did.

What I did know was that we won. Ruby and I were shrieking and hugging each other while everyone else was cheering.

Ruby pointed out Max, who was taking his helmet off and looking around.

She motioned for me to go down to him, so I did. I ran up to him and he hugged me tightly.

"Great job. I'm proud of you." He smiled and we locked eyes. I felt a spark through my entire body and broke the gaze before anything else happened.