34

Kyle

I kiss her softly, sadly she pulls away. I look at her with confusion.

"You lost the chance to kiss me whenever you wanted when you decided to put your lips on another girl," she says softly.

Her words are like a punch to the gut. She jumps off the counter and walks to the little living area of the hotel room. While her back is turned to me I open my mouth the say something but she says something before I get any words out.

She turns to me,"I just want to know why I wasn't good enough. Why I wasn't worth being the only one to have you. Why was she worth your time, why she was worth losing me. Is that it, she was worth more to you than I was? I should've known, I've never been enough for anything in life."

Every word she says is like being slapped in the face over and over. Standing here listening to her bash herself while she's wringing her hands together hurts me. I rush over to her and grab her hands.

I fold my large hands over her small ones,"You were more than enough. You were and are worth everything. I'm the one that didn't deserve you, I'm the one that didn't deserve any of your time. I should've been grateful that you even looked at me. She came onto me but being the stupid dumbfuck I am I didn't stop her," I let go of her hands and back away. I run a hand through my tousled hair," Nothing, Nothing is worth losing you. I regretted everything the minute it happened. I didn't need Conner to almost kill me to know I had lost the greatest thing that happened to me. But I knew right away that I messed up, you didn't need to leave for me to know what I did was wrong. I knew it was wrong while I was doing it. I did the same thing she did to me and I know there aren't enough sorries in the world that could change your mind. I know that you might not forgive me, you don't have to but know that there is anything that I would do to prove to you that I love you, I never stopped, I always have."

She sits on the couch and puts her hands in her hair.

"That's the thing Kyle, I love you. I love you so fucking much that I just want to fall back into your arms. So much that I want to give you a second chance. So much," her words bring hope.

"But," and all of my hope plummets when she says but.

"I can't."

"Why," my voice comes out pleading.

"Because one thing I'm really bad at is trust. It took me forever to trust you, I used to think all you wanted was to be in my pants. I have major trust issues Kyle after the things that happened in my past, things you know about and things you don't you could somewhat understand why I have trust issues. But I'm one not ready to forgive you for what you did, but I'm also not ready to be in a relationship. I wasn't then and I'm not now."

I nod," I understand, what I did was unacceptable and I get it."

I stand up and walk the door leading out of the room. I wrap my hand around the cold doorknob but before I open it I freeze. I let out a cold chuckle.
"I'm so fucking stupid. I let you go. I let you walk out of my house. I sat there like an idiot and saw you leave my life. I didn't stop you. And here I am walking away from you, like you did me. But I don't want to walk away. I want to stay here with you and hold you and love you like I should've done."

"Reid kissed me," she whispers.
My hand clutches the doorknob and my hand turns a pale color. I grit my teeth. She continues.

"I was getting out of the car to get on my plane, he stopped me. He didn't fully kiss me but his lips brushed mine."

"Do you have feelings for him?" I regret the words when they fall out of my mouth.

"I don't know," she whispers.

I walk over to her and kneel in front of her. I grab her hands while she stays seated on the couch. I play with her delicate fingers.

"I don't want you to slip away again. I don't want you to fall out of my fingertips again. I don't care that you're not ready for a relationship again. I don't. But I respect you and I won't force you into something you don't want to do. What I'm asking is if you will at least be my friend? Will you do me the honor of starting over and to know you, before we jump face first into a relationship? It will kill me, every second as it reminds me I can't smash my lips against yours or call you mine; it will kill me. But I gladly die if I could be with you in any way possible."

Violet pulls her hand from mine and caresses my cheek softly.
"I love you," she whispers ever so softly. She gently places her lips to mine for a short kiss. She pulls away slowly and her brown and blue eyes flicker to meet mine. "I'd love to be your friend."

I stand up and pull away from her," Sadly my dear I have to leave. This hotel isn't going to run itself, but you will be forced to eat a healthy breakfast so I will be sending room service to come and feed you."

"Honestly Kyle you don't-" she starts but I cut her off.

"Nope doesn't matter I want to, and can I please get your new number?"
She sighs and takes out her phone, unlocks it, and hands it to me. I put my number in and text myself. The message comes through and I add her number to my phone. I walk up and kiss her on the cheek.
"I'll see you later, Violet."

She groans and slides a hand down her face," goodbye Kyle."

She starts pushing me out of the door and I walk out. I move a few doors down before I dial Conner's number. He picks up after the third ring.

"What do you want?" he growls through the phone.

"I found her."

"She's ready," he whispers.

"What does that mean?"

"Willow-" I cut him off.

"I call her Violet now."

"Is she okay with it?"

"Yes."

"Okay, well Violet won't be found if she doesn't want to be. She researches ever place she stays and every person she meets when she's on the run. The minute she found out there'd be a slight chance of running into her past she'd dip if she wasn't ready. That's why I was able to find her after two years when we were in Georgia because she was ready to be found. Don't rush things and take everything at her place of she'll just run again."

"I won't, we just had a really long, painful conversation about the things that happened and we ended on being friends."

"Is she happy with that?"

"Yes."

"Are you happy with that?"

I sigh and rub a hand down my face," it's gonna kill me."

"Well, I never liked you so gonna give you some real shit to think on. You can chase after her all you want but she'll never be your's unless it's under her terms," with that he hangs up the phone.
I put my phone back in my pocket. I walk into my room and change into one of my suits. I pull my hair into a ponytail. I order room service for Violet's room and start my day as the manager of the hotel.