Chapter 30

"Follow me to the knot." The man said.

"The what?"

"The Gordian Knot." The man said, standing in the middle of the entrance hall.

I looked at the ground and saw a symbol, what I assumed was the Gordian Knot, in the center of the hall. Four large statues stood in the corners. One was a thunderbird, and another was a horned serpent like I had learned about from Remus. I couldn't recognize the other two animals.

"What are those?" I asked.

"These are the houses of Ilvermorney!" The man said. "What you will do is stand on the Gordian Knot, and one of the houses will claim you. The Horned Serpent's forehead crystal will light up, the Pukwudgie will raise it's arrow, the Wampus will roar, and the Thunderbird will beat its wings if it wants you."

"Alright." I said quietly.

I slowly walked to the Gordian Knot. I stood in the center and looked around. Nothing happened.

"Hmm," the man said. "it must be a hard decision for them."

Oh great, I thought, just like my Hogwarts sorting.

Finally, after what felt like hours, I heard a noise coming in the direction of the Thunderbird statue. I shot around and saw the Thunderbird beating its wings.

"You are now a member of Thunderbird!" The man said. "I will lead you to the Thunderbird tower, and Minerva and Rubeus, you both can sleep in the professor's dorms tonight if you wish."

"Oh we really must be going." McGonagall said. "We have already been gone from our lessons far to long."

"Alright then." The man said.

"Goodbye Iris." Hagrid said. He set my trunk down and I hugged him.

"Thank you Hagrid." I said. We let go and I looked at McGonagall. She smiled at me, and I hugged her. She slowly went to hug me back, then hugged me tight.

We let go and McGonagall said. "I may miss you in class Black."

I smiled and waved as the two took powder from the pot next to the fireplace. They individually stepped in the fireplace and left. I looked back at the man, who smiled at me.

"I'll get your trunk for you." He said.

I looked at him with a look of confusion, wondering how a man so small would be able to lift my heavy trunk. He pulled out his wand and lifted up the trunk without even laying a finger on it.

"Oh." I mumbled to myself.

"What was that?" The man asked.

"Nothing." I said.

We walked silently through the halls and up a tower. We reached a wooden door with a gold door knocker the shape of the Thunderbird in the center.

"This is the door to your dormitory." The man said. "To get in you have to knock this pattern."

The man knocked on the door in a pattern of one two and three. The door swung open and we walked in. It quietly shut behind us and the man led me to a staircase.

"Up here is the girls dormitory, and I'm not aloud up there. I'll send your trunk up and you can go to bed."

He waved his wand and my trunk floated up the stairs. He put his wand away and started off towards the door.

"Um, sir?" I said.

"Yes?"

"I never caught your name."