Chapter 7

The last few days of summer went by fast. It was finally time to go to Hogwarts, and I couldn't wait.

I woke up the morning we were going to Kings Cross when the sun jcame up. Remus was still asleep, so I decided to make breakfast for him. I can cook so it wouldn't be burnt like Remus's toast.

I got dressed in a red t-shirt and a black jacket with my blue jeans. I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen. It was getting bright in the kitchen as the sun shown through the window filled wall. I walked to the cabinet and pulled out some bread and put it in the toaster. I grabbed the eggs from the icebox and put a pan on the stove. I turned on the stove and watched the flame start burning.

Once it was warm I cooked two eggs and put them on top of the toast I made. I took an orange from a cabinet and cut it in half. I made orange juice from the orange and placed the glasses on the table nearby. I took a banana and sliced it into little slices. I lined them neatly along both pieces of toast and placed the plates on the table next to a glass. I folded a napkin in half and tucked a fork and knife in both. I set them next to a plate and Remus walked in.

"Now what's all this?" Remus asked. "You made breakfast?"

"It's just something to say thank you for all you've done for me for the past twelve years and I want to congratulate you for becoming the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor." I said.

"You're acting funny. Is there something you want out of this in return?" Remus asked, sitting down.

"I didn't want you to cook. You know you can't right?" I said. Remus laughed and said. "I know. I have never been able to cook. I don't know how you can either. Your father couldn't cook. It must be from your mother."

There was a short pause, then I said. "Remus, did you know anything about my mother?"

He paused, then said. "Your mother is a muggle, and your father found her more beautiful than anyone else in the world. They got married and a year later you were born. Then, your father found you the most beautiful person in the world. A few days later, she became very jealous of his affection for his new daughter. She wanted to kill you and she tried. Late that night, she tried to steal you and drown you in a nearby lake, but your father found her just before she left with you and took you away. He called the police and she was arrested that night."

I was speechless and confused. "So, she was a self absorbed woman who wanted my father all to herself, so she tried to kill me?" I said. Remus nodded and I went wide eyed.

"Well, sounds like someone my father would marry." I said. Remus started laughing and I did too.

"You can eat!" I said. "I want to hear your opinion on it!"

Remus took his fork and said. "It looks so nice I don't want to mess it up."

I laughed and said. "I'll mess mine up too."

"Alright, let's eat!" Remus said. We both took our forks and dug in to the toast. I took a bite and looked up at Remus.

"Mmm, this is delicious. How did you make this?" He said.

"It's a secret." I said. "Really, I guess I just figured it out."

We laughed and I took another bite. We finished eating and I stood up.

"I'll take your plate." I said. Remus went wide eyed and said. "You are in a really good mood this morning aren't you."

"I finally have friends at Hogwarts this year and I can't wait to see them again." I said with a large smile on my face.

"That's great to hear. And thank you for taking my plate and making breakfast." Remus said, handing his empty plate to me. I took the plates to the sink and turned on the water. I washed the plates and put them away. I didn't want any dirty dishes in the sink when we came back. I took Remus's and my empty orange juice glass and washed them, put them away, and went over to Remus.

"I hope that was enough to eat." I said. He smiled at me and said. "It was great. Now go get your things and make sure you have everything."

I nodded and ran upstairs. I smiled as I saw my trunk sitting closed on my bed, ready to be taken to Hogwarts for the year I've had yet.

I made sure I had everything. I was checking a third time when Remus walked in.

"Iris, it's almost time to go. It's nearly nine thirty, and it takes us over an hour to get there." He said. I nodded and checked one last time. I closed my trunk and picked it up. I carried it down the stairs and Remus held the door open for me as I walked out with it. I loaded it in our car and went back inside. Remus closed the door behind me and I plopped down in a chair.

"I'll grab my trunk and load it in the car, then we can go." Remus said. I nodded and stood up. I remembered my book I was reading. I ran upstairs to grab it as Remus was coming down.

"What is it? Did you forget something?" Remus asked.

"Yes, and I'm going to get it. I'll be down in less than thirty seconds." I said, sneaking past him and running into my room. I saw the book on my dresser and grabbed it. I tucked it under my arm and ran back downstairs.

"That was forty seconds young lady." Remus said jokingly. I laughed and he threw an apple at me. I caught it and he said. "It's a snack for on the road. Now let's go."

We walked out the door and to the car. We both jumped in and Remus started driving as soon as we closed the door. I buckled in and leaned back in my seat. I was so excited for Hogwarts this year and nothing could go wrong.